Dereck

Before we arrived to the local hospital, we heard guns and people screaming. This was somethings serious.
-Stay here, Ericka -Vladimir said
-You expect me to stay here and get killed? Or stay here and watch you get killed? We are doing this together.
-No, we are not. Stay here, I'll be right back.
-Are you deaf? I'M GOING! -I shouted
Suddenly, a soldier turned his back and stared at me. He had an evil look and a crooked smile. He started walking slowly towards us.
-Run -Vladimir whispered
-Don't you understand? If we are dying, we are dying together
His gun started pointing at Mr. Schröder before he stated:
-You don't want to go there. That hospital is hell on earth, and if you are looking for supplies, then you're not finding them here. You are an easy target to foreign soldiers, they may take you and your daughter
-Thank you very much. -Vladimir said in a scared tone, before turning his back and walking away.
-Wait. You are not going forward, neither backwards.
-W-What do you mean?
-Give me everything you have, now!
-We don't have anything, leave us alone! -Mr. Schröder shouted
The guy approached me and hit me in the face. I fell into the ground and felt how my nose started bleeding. It hurt so bad, I could not put my hands in the floor and get up. I heard a loud pitch, and people shouting in the background
I saw how that person ran away with my backpack and Vladimir trying to chase him, but it was all in vain. I closed my eyes and waited for the worst. I was such a little girl that that moment, I actually thought I was going to die. Mr. Schröder took my hand and ran away to this abandoned bar a few blocks away.
-Are you alright? -Vladimir asked, really worried.
-I guess. I'm just sad he took my backpack. But, I had nothing important in there, just a few toys and...
-And what?
-Nothing. You're gonna be mad at me if I tell you.
-Absolutely not. Come on, what's that?
-I had this American comic called Star Trek, Dereck gave it to me and it had a very special value for me.
-Dereck? The kid in West Berlin?
-Yeah, I'm really worried about him... what if he got missing during the midst of war?
-I don't think so, the city must be protected from enemy attacks. It's American land, and those guys are tough. I'm sure he's fine. Now, get some sleep before we continue walking. We've only traveled a few neighborhoods.
-Fine... Be careful
-I will. Good Night.
I heard gun fires a few hours later, the sky turned completely black and the raid alarm went off. There was nobody inside, except American soldiers who pointed their guns directly at me. I couldn't understand what they were telling me, but before I could say a thing thousands of planes flew above us, they were all dropping bombs.
-Ericka! -Dereck shouted
-Dereck? Where are you?!
-Over here! But be careful, there are soldiers surrounding me!
-I can't see anybody, I'm coming!
-Wait, stay where you are and wait for the bombs to explode!
Suddenly a bomb landed just in front of Dereck...
-It burns! Help me! Fast!
I ran as fast as I could in order to get there.
-I am ok, but I won't be for long... Please help me!
-I'm here, and you will be ok
-No I won't.. Please come
-What do you mean? I'm already here!
That's when I heard a loud bang and opened my eyes... It was only just a nightmare.
My eyes rolled out to Mr. Schröder before I could say:
-We need to find Dereck.
-You're joking, right?
-No, I'm not. We need to get to West Berlin before something bad happens to him.
-I told ya, he's protected. Nothing bad will happen, but right now we need to focus on ourselves and stay away from the military. We gotta get away from the city as fast as possible, we cannot go back and save someone who is already saved. Come on, we need to go.
-You go, I'm staying.
-God... An hour ago you were talking about how we'd die together and stay together till the end, and now you say you're staying? Explain yourself kid.
-I know he'll suffer, or maybe die soon.
-How do you know?
-I just know, ok?! Trust me.
-We can't lose more time, Ericka. Have some common sense please!
-Trust. Me. Don't you understand? I'm going with or without you.
-Soldiers have taken over that place, you know that? And how do you know he's gonna be there? I bet he is not allowed to go fucking outside.
-We are going, ok?
-You are god damn crazy... Go by yourself.
I couldn't believe Vladimir was actually going to leave me alone, but I was so mad I ran away. I didn't even look back, and I didn't understand that, that could be the last time I saw him.