Day 2

I opened my eyes that morning thinking it would be just another simple day. It was not. 

Vladimir was crying in the room next to mine, I suppose he was trying to do it as quiet as possible. There was no light, all the curtains were closed and the candles were not lighten up. I could not remember the last time we had electricity, but we did not use it anyway. I walked through the hallway, those painting on the walls freaked me out, it was like all of them were staring at me...

I opened the door, expecting nothing. He was looking at a picture of a soldier, he had blue eyes and white skin, even though he was covered in dust. The soldier was smiling, as if he had won something.

-Who is that? -I asked, avoiding to shout.

-It's me. It was 1944, I was just a teenager. We won the Hürtgen forest battle against the americans. That was hell of a long fight. I cannot imagine going back there, Ericka. It is Satan's home on Earth... All those bodies lying on the tree's roots. The river's water flowing with the blood of the fallen ones. I don't want to go back. I just can't. 

-Don't worry. I heard that they may not send you to the battlefield, maybe you will just stay in Moscow and control operations and stuff like that over there. -I tried to calm him, but it was all in vain.

-You are everything I have right now, Ericka. I want to spend this last day with you.

-Then... What would you like to do?

-I can't stay, honey. I need to go to my uncle's.

-But... We did that yesterday, didn't we?

-No. I just wanted you to meet him face to face, we did not talk about anything at all. I'm sorry. Maybe we can stay awake all night? Sounds like fun for me.

-Don't worry, you need to rest for tomorrow. I don't want you to be afraid, everything is going to be fine...  I know you are god's favorite soldier -I said with a sad smile.

He hugged me, and tears started to fall from my eyes. But it was strange, because they were happiness tears.

Once Vladimir was gone, I sat down on the living room. It had the same dust and fire smell, combined with a sweet chocolate essence. I looked at the clock, which had almost no batteries. I still had time to visit Dereck, and that is what I did. 

-Ericka? - A voice from the other side of the wall asked.

-Dereck? 

-Oh, god... I'm glad you are finnaly here. I thought you had forgotten me.

-Never. I'm just having though days, but here I am.

-Why are your days so though? -He asked in a nosy way.

-I cannot tell you... It would break your heart.

There was a deep moment of silence. I continued...

-I am leaving,  Dereck. We are not going to be able to hear each other again. 

-You're joking, right? Please tell me you are just playing with me.

-No, I'm not. The man who has been taking care of me is leaving with the Soviets, and he is taking me to his uncle's. He lives north of the city.

-My parents leave me and now you... I have a pretty nice childhood, huh?

-Look, Dereck. If it was my choice, I would live alone and still visit you everyday.  Do you think it is easy for me to leave the only friend I have had in my entire life? This hurts me more than it hurts you.

-So, this is it? -He asked

-Of course not! When the war finnaly ends... We will meet each other again, and one day... Someday we will see each other. I promise.

-But, before you leave... I want to ask you a favor. Don't forget me.

-Can I ask you another favor? - I cryed. Please be here when I come and visit you.

-I promise.

-I promise.

-Thank you for the red balloons. I think I never told you how much you mean to me. That was a very nice gift, the best I've had in my life.

-The best gift I have ever had in my life? You and dad.

-Dad? I thought your dad had... -Dereck asked

-You're right. I'm talking about Vladimir. He became more than a man who takes care of a silly girl a while ago. 

-I don't want you to leave, Ericka.

-Me neither. Somebody has to end this now... War has done so much damage to so many people.

-Maybe Vladimir will end it all? 

-Not quite sure. But I am sure we will meet again, Dereck. - You don't know what i've been through.- I whispered in a terrifying voice. 

I imagine Dereck felt a chill down his spine as he heard me tell him how the pain has devoured me internally

- I feel so alone... I was the responsible of my parents death.- I made the best effort not to cry. 

I felt how Dereck hold his eyes and asked.

- Why were you responsible?

- I heard my parents fighting.- I continued seriously.- My father seemed really angry... He ran upstairs screaming in anger. I was frightened. I followed him silently through the corridor and peeked inside his room. Before I could do anything, he shot himself.

 I think Dereck thought he knew me just for being in the same situation as him. At least, that's what I've been thinking the whole time.

-You have no fault about that. But, I am glad that happened -He said in a shaky voice

-Why? 

-Because of that, you met Vladimir and me. Aren't you thankful about that?

-Yes, of course, but... It's different. 

-So, I think you have to leave now -Dereck shouted

-I think so. You gave me the most amazing years of my life, thank you.

-Thank you, Ericka.

I walked away from the wall, trying not to look back. But, this time I did it, I looked back. That was one of the saddest and happiest moments of my entire life. Just to know, that my only friend was behind that piece of cement was so heartbreaking. The sunset was beautiful, there was an opening between the clouds where the sun shined. I couldn't remember the last time I saw something like that in East Berlin. The last day with the people I care, was finnaly over.