The Brutal Truth

I was freaked out, Dereck was not there. We always met at six o'clock near checkpoint Charlie. I tried to calm down, as these last days have been though. The German guards stared at me, and the sky was once again gray.

Later that Afternoon, I was even more terrified. There was a police car outside my home, along with various soldiers knocking on the door. The sirens were louder than anything in the world, and the soldiers carried guns that looked like they had been made by the devil. One of them looked at me, and gave his mate a small puch in the shoulder.

-Well, Hello there kid. -Said one of them.

I did not want to answer, I just looked at his big brown eyes.

-You cannot be here, girl -He said, but in a deeper voice.

-I live here. -I answered.

All of them looked to each other in a confused way. Then, Vladimir opened the door and looked at me surprised. He wanted to tell me something with his eyes, but I couldn't understand anything.

-Get in, Ericka. -Vladimir shouted.

I ran inside and closed the door, but I could still hear what they were talking about.

-Who is that little girl, Mr. Schröder? Is she living with you?

-Yes, yes she is.

-You know that is against the law, right? It is illegal to keep a child under your protection without having official documents and the feelingly of the government.

-I guess you are going to arrest me then.

-Not really. General Albrecht, leader of the Soviet Air Force. Such a pleasure to meet you Mr. Schröder.

-The pleasure is mine -Vladimir answered.

-We have selected you to participate in the Soviet Army. We know you have an advanced age, but your experience in the battlefield will be useful. We don't know yet if we would send you to war, or you would stay in the headquarters. But one thing is sure, you are a soldier once again.

I could not believe what was going on. My heart was so fast...

-A truck is going to pick you up on Saturday right here. Good Afternoon, Vladimir. It will be nice having you in our team. This time, we will destroy the Americans. I promise.

Some soldiers entered the police car, while some of them just walked away. I opened the door, and tears started to fall through my chicks. Vladimir got on his knees and hug me.

-It is all going to be ok, Ericka. I am going to go out for a while.

-But, where will I stay? -I asked with a cutted voice.

-At my uncle's. He lives North of the City, and it is near a beautiful park where you can make new friends and play. I'm sure you will have a great time -He said with a false smile.

-But... Dereck.

-Who is Dereck?

I had to tell him, even though I was in big trouble, I could not keep that secret anymore.

-Everyday for a few years, I have been visiting a friend in West Berlin. We both talk through the wall. We meet near checkpoint Charlie everyday at six. Don't you wonder why I am so terrified about war? He read a newspaper to me about a bomb in the United States. If I leave Downtown East Berlin, I am never gonna see him again. Please, Vladimir... Don't do this to me.

I got a response I was not expecting, his expresion changed from being sad, to be so mad...

-All these years and all you care about is your stupid friend?!? I have been taking care of you for 12 years, and now I am leaving for war and all you care about is your god damn friend?!? I am going to die, Ericka! I am never going to see you again! But you know what? I don't give a damn. You can stay here alone, with nobody but Dereck.

All the tears that fell from my eyes weren't enough to demonstrate how mad I was at myself. Until then, I did not realize all the love and work Vladimir gave to me. I ran towards my room, which was on the last floor of the 4-story building. I locked the door and closed the curtains. I could not believe I hurt Vladimir that way, that I had only three days left until he went to the USSR. I hated Dereck so much at that time, even though he had been there for me everyday and viceversa. I remember having horrible thoughts, and one of them said:

"I am never going to visit Dereck again. From now on, he will be just a memory"