The newspapers

I woke up later that morning, Vladimir was reading the newspaper as he did every single day. The first thing I did was sitting down with him, and read the same old news. The article read:

"UNITED STATES DISCOVERS SECRET NUCLEAR BASE IN CUBA, CASTRO DENIES THE PRESENCE OF THE SOVET UNION"

East Berlin:  10 years after the Cuban Missile Crisis, an American spy discovered a secret nuclear base near Guantanamo. The missiles located there, are the same the USSR has been testing recently in the Barents Sea, all of them are pointing to North America. Richard Nixon, the president of the United States of America is scared of backfiring to the Soviet Union and has done nothing about it, even when the American defense minister talked with Fidel Castro about the topic, in which Cuban president stated: "Cuba is, and will continue to be a close ally with the USSR, but there is no military presence on the island. The base near Guantanamo was constructed in 1962 and has no missiles right now"
We all know the truth, Khrushchev is ready to give the order to attack the United States of America. It is just a matter of time, until communism defeats capitalism. We totally support our Cuban brothers, and wish them the best of luck.

 We totally support our Cuban brothers, and wish them the best of luck

Fidel Castro and Nikita Khrushchev in Havana, 1962.

I looked at Vladimir, kind of scared. He just took my hand, and wrapped me into his loving arms.
-We are safe here, Ericka. Believe it or not, Berlin is the safest city of all involved countries. Don't let a stupid newspaper scare you, honey. There will not be a nuclear war, I will not go to a battlefield again. -He told me in one of the most charming voices. I did not respond, but my eyes looking directly at him said it all.
Later that afternoon, I made that long walk towards the wall. Dereck would be waiting for me, as always.
-Did you hear about that thing in Cuba? -I asked with a terrified voice.
-Sure - He replied. The USSR bombing a town in the United States, right?
-Not really. American spies discovering a secret nuclear base in the island.
-Yeah, that's what I was talking about. The missiles came from there.
I was confused. The newspaper I read did not say anything about bombing a town.
- I don't believe you -I shouted - You're just trying to scare me.
-The newspaper doesn't lie. Wait a second...
I heard footsteps in the other side of the wall. My mind was going crazy, I was terrified. The fear of Vladimir going to a battlefield again, the fear of a nuclear war and the fear of me being taken away from everything I know was like a punch in the stomach. Dereck came back right away.
-Here is today's newspaper. Do you want me to read it?
-Yes, yes I want.

"SMALL TOWN IN NEVADA BOMBED BY THE SOVIET UNION"

West Berlin: Yesterday, a small town in the state of Nevada, United States was bombed by the USSR with the most powerful weapon ever created by a human being. Recent tests took place in the Barents Sea, and Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev stated that the bomb would not be used until extreme cases. What was the extreme case? That is a question every citizen makes to themselves and has no answer. American president Richard Nixon will follow the protocol written by ex-president John F. Kennedy, per sources. The number of official casualties is unknown, and the damages caused by the bomb are indescribable. There are no reports of other damaged cities, including Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix and Tucson. We are waiting for the United States to take action on the case, and it will be no surprise if they respond with a nuclear bomb in Soviet major cities.

 We are waiting for the United States to take action on the case, and it will be no surprise if they respond with a nuclear bomb in Soviet major cities

Destroyed Town of Dyer, Nevada, Unites States of America.

Effects of the Soviet bomb dropped yesterday, officials investigating the site

I could not believe what I was hearing, all my thoughts were real. I was not thinking in anything but all those people who died in the bombing. Did they feel anything? Did they suffer? Were they conscious that morning that they would not see the sun anymore? Neither their loved ones? I can't imagine the moment that plane dropped the biggest bomb ever created by a human being.