Day 3

Vladimir always talked to me about something called "Operation Unthinkable", which was a rumor when he fought in WWII. Although it never happened, the plan was meant to drive out the Soviets from Germany, Poland, and Eastern Europe. But, the most terryfing part was the Americans bombing with their nuclear arsenal major cities. On December 23th, 1972, the day turned night, the snow that covered the streets became fire and dreams became nightmares.

We were heading to the bus stop, the sun was rising and the birds were not singing yet. I could only see a few cars and people. Vladimir and I both sat down in a broken bench, waiting for the bus to arrive.

-I will miss you -Whispered Vladimir

-I won't. You will always be by my side. I know you will return soon.

-Pray for me, ok? That's the only thing you need to do.

-Eveynight. Good luck, dad.

Mr. Schröder looked at me in a confused way. His eyes started dropping tiny tears, but he just looked away...

It was eight in the morning and the bus had not arrived, there were no cars anymore, neither people. Vladimir's hands were shaking, and his breathing became so fast. I could not understand what was happening, until big alarms started to sound. We were so panicked, none of us moved a single finger. Planes flied over our heads, making one of the most terryfing sounds I've ever heard. A few seconds later, Vladimir took my hand and started running away, we were not far from our home, but he entered a grocery shop nearby. There were other people inside, and all of them were lying on the ground, covering their heads. Finnaly, it was all over. A woman turned on the televison. The old man was shocked, but he read the news he had in his hands anyway.

-"This is a message from the Soviet government: Citizens of East Berlin, there has been an evacuation issue for the whole city, as there has been a massive nuclear attack in the Russian city of Kiev, and have been reports of American soldiers entering our protected city. Now, you must stay away from the Berlin Wall and evacuate to Poland and Czechoslovakia, as a nuclear attack may take place in the Democratic Republic of Germany.

I looked at Vladimir. My fear of a war taking place where I live became true.
-Americans here? They're going to kill us! -Shouted a young lady
-No, they won't. We just need to stay away from them and stay here in the city. -Answered Vladimir, he sounded so calm now.
-Didn't you hear the news? We need to get the hell out of here. -Yelled another man
-There is going to be chaos everywhere, highways will be packed with cars, and the other countries may close their borders. This is no target for a nuclear attack, as we are next to an American city. Bombing us would be bombing themselves.
-How do you know?
-It's just logic. Ex-soldier talking to you -Responded Vladimir in a proud way.
-I'm sorry, but me and my family are going to leave -Said the man, and all the other people followed him. It was just Mr. Schröder and I.
-So, we are not going anywhere? -I asked
-No. We will stay at home until it's all over.
-But,what about the people who were supposed to pick you up?
-I think they're to busy now. Come on, let's go home.
We walked out from the store, and heard how people yelled for help, as there were thief stealing people's belongings. Everyone was running, putting their stuff inside cars and getting away as fast as possible. We were running the opposite direction, and it lasted so long until we arrived to the plaza.
The house was destroyed, there was no furniture and the only things left were smashed.
-They robbed our home, Ericka. Everything I've earned is now gone.
-Don't worry. At least you are not going to the battlefield and we are safe and sound -I said, trying to calm him down.
-You're right. Check your room, I need to find out if they left our food untouched.
I went up the stairs, and my room was empty. It was the same picture downstairs had, even my photos were ripped off the walls.
I heard a huge bang, the same sound a bullet made. I opened the curtains and saw a group of men firing their guns towards citizens. Some of them entered the buildings, and the others left kept killing innocent people.
-It's the Americans! -I shouted, expecting Vladimir to answer.
-Come down here immediately!
I ran down the stairs, feeling a huge hole in my stomach. Mr. Schröder took my hand and ran towards the basement, where we stayed for a few moments. Vladimir recharged his rifle, and pointed the door, even though it was locked.
-I... Saw... Her death. -I whispered, with a cutting voice.
-I'm sorry, Ericka. You are not supposed to see that... Those damn bastards.
-I feel the same way about the Americans.
-They are not soldiers, they are German assholes.
-German? Why are they killing their own people?
-It happened the same thing in World War I and II. They are collecting valuable stuff from homes so that they can sell them to the black market when everything's over. Those persons have no mercy, and will kill everyone who steps in front of them.
-Are they getting in? -I asked, waiting for the answer to be no.
-Yes, Ericka. I want you to be quiet until we know that they are gone. If they somehow enter the basement, you are going to get behind me, ok?
-Ok. I love you.
-I love you too.
It was an hour later, when we thought they were gone, the door was knocked down.
-Get out from where you are, and we will make no harm to you or your family -Someone shouted. -You have 10 seconds to get your ass over here.
-10
-09
-08
-07
-06
I was getting even more panicked every second
-05
-04
-03
-02
-01
-Great! If we find you, you will regret being born.
I started crying, but I tried with all my soul to stop.
-There's nothing here, Herr. They came before us. -Said another man.
-There's something special here, I know something is hidden. Is there a basement here? I'm sure that if there is, we will hit the big jackpot!
-There's a locked door, Herr. I'm going in.
Vladimir prepared his rifle as a strange noise came from outside. The door was now opened...