|Vobi| Smile

[warning: angst and depression. :)]

-

toebee: smile, you deserve to be happy.

Vik gazes solemnly at the screen of his phone, feeling perplexed as his dark chocolate eyes scan across the message. Who is this stranger and what do they want?

He wipes off the drops of tears that had fallen onto his phone with the sleeve of his sweater. It was almost as if this stranger knew that Vik wasn't exactly having the best of days. What would this uninvited individual know about him anyway? After all, no one knows Vik. Nobody knows he exists and nobody cares.

Hesitantly, Vik grips at his phone in shaky, nimble fingers. He begins to type, putting too much thought into each letter as he found himself erasing question after question, uncertainty at his fingertips.

vik: who is this?

Vik finds himself astounded by how quick it takes for the stranger to reply; the notifications appears at his screen within seconds. He doesn't read it immediately though. He couldn't help but to feel as if this person was a threat to him, like they wanted something out of him. His eyes flicker towards the tiny bottle of anti-depressants sitting idly at his bedside table. His frown deepens.

toebee: My name is Tobi. And you're Vik, correct?

Disbelief flickers across Vik's face. Of course, he knew of Tobi. He was friendly, intelligent and seemed like the most carefree person ever. It made Vik envious of him. He'd give anything to be like Tobi.

vik: yes. do you need something?

Why would somebody like Tobi ever want to talk to a loser like me? Tears pool at his dark brown eyes. It must be some sick joke. Once again, it takes less than a minute for Tobi to respond to his message.

toebee: No, not really. Are you ok?

vik: does it matter?

toebee: Of course.

vik: why? it shouldn't. you don't know me.

toebee: Well, it does. And that's fine, we can get to know each other.

vik: i don't want to. why are you talking to me?

toebee: Because something's wrong.

vik: nothing's wrong, mind your own business. can you go away?

toebee: I saw those cuts on your arms. Please just let me talk to you.

Vik switches of his phone instantly and tosses it aside. He suppresses a sob, his stomach tying in a tight knot. Darkness surrounds him as he hears his phone buzzing from Tobi's unwanted messages. He glances tearfully at the small prescription pills, untouched. Vik lets a single tear glide down his cheek. I'm not normal. I shouldn't need drugs to be happy. 

From his window, Vik could see the sun being swallowed by the horizon, casting long shadows across his bedroom. The sky is painted beautifully in different shades and colours. Vik's gaze trails down to his arms, scars scattered across his arms. He tried to cut where nobody could see them but perhaps he ran out of space. 

They don't hurt. And if they did, I deserve the pain.

  He stares and sits still at the edge of the bed until the sun had completely disappeared and he had no idea what time it was anymore.  

Vik perks up as he hears a knock at the door. He never got visitors. His parents were out as always. Heaving a weak sigh, he stands up and tugs his sleeves down, trudging towards the front door. 

He tenses as he recognises the face at the door as soon as he opens it. Tobi stands nonchalantly at his doorstep, a warm smile across his face. "How did you find my address?" Vik demands furiously.

"I know certain things for certain reasons," he replies simply. Stalker!

"Can I come in?" Before the word 'no' can leave his lips, Vik acknowledges the sincerity in his dulcet grin. Nobody ever looked at him like that. Whenever people at school smile at him, it's a pitiful, fake smile. Behind his back, it's a smirk of mockery and disgust.

Vik fondles with the brim of his sweater before stepping aside reluctantly. Tobi smiles - but he was already smiling. He wondered if this stranger ever stopped smiling for a second of his life. Do I ever start smiling?

"So," Tobi begins with a smiley sigh as he takes a step inside. His hands are buried in the pockets of his pastel-coloured hoodie. "I'm sorry if I invaded your privacy. I just care about you, yeah?"

Vik falls silent, gnawing at the inside of his cheek. He rubs his arms a little and shrugs. "Why? This is the only time you've ever talked to me," he remarks. Tobi tilts his head but his constant smile doesn't falter a single bit.

"You're right, but that doesn't mean I haven't tried. You always ignore me." Vik narrows his eyes, now regretting ever opening the door. "Maybe you should leave."

Tobi raises a brow. "Just give me a chance, Vik. Trust me, okay?"

A screeching voice rings throughout Vik's head. Trust no one. His nails dig into his clammy palms. He's waiting for the ground to swallow him whole by now. Trust no one.

"N-No!" Vik stammers abruptly, taking Tobi by surprise. Trust no one. Trust no one. "I can't. I just can't." Tears stream down his face and Vik doesn't bother to hide it. He's already made a fool of himself - and it's not like this hasn't happened before. With his parents, with teachers, therapists..

Vik is taken aback when Tobi leans in smoothly, wiping his tears away. "Hey..." he murmurs softly. "Don't cry." Before any shaky words can leave his mouth, Tobi draws him in for a warm embrace, his arms wrapping around Vik's body. Vik relaxes a little, letting his tears fall free.

"It's okay, alright? Don't cry - smile."

And for the first time in ages, a smile flickers across Vik's face because for once, he feels like somebody's finally here for him.

x

i enjoyed this one. may or may not do a part two.