Chapter 12b

Recognition finally changed her little features from a mask of terror to one of timid resolve. No one attempted to stop her as she walked to the thickest part of the blaze and held out her hands, palms lightly touching the towering blaze. The heat didn't seem to bother her at all.

For several breathless moments, nothing happened. Then, as if called away by its master, the blaze began to shrink away from the trees. The girl persisted, and the flames gradually became smaller and smaller, until, at last, all that was left were smoldering beams and ash.

She dropped her arms and stood motionless. A large crowd had gathered around, staring. She turned around, not noticing the crowd at all, and walked back to Goben. She dropped to her knees and whispered, "I'm sorry."

Galen pushed his way through the swarm of onlookers, followed closely by who I assumed was his mother, Ruba. She carried a sack and hurried to kneel beside the two burned parents. Dread etched her face as she pulled herbs and bowls out of her sack.

I dragged myself closer for a better look. They were so badly burned they barely seemed human. Their flesh was scorched black in some places, with angry red blisters in others. I wasn't sure if they were even alive.

The Forestfolk stood about, still stunned by the chaos. A hush fell as they watched the woman tilt her face over the noses of each body, listening for breath. She nodded, but continued to stare at the bodies in horror.

"I . . . I'm not sure I can do anything for them," she said in a quiet voice. "There's too much damage."

"You have to!" Goben cried, pulling on her arm. "You can't just give up!"

She turned her anguished face to the child. "I'm sorry, Goben. There's nothing I can do."

"No!" he shrieked and flung his body onto his father's, sobbing. "Papa, wake up!"

I couldn't take anymore. My heart was rending to little pieces, and tears threatened to spill. I could do something about this. If I could deliver these children from suffering this loss, then it would be worth the consequences of revealing my gift. I knew no pain greater than watching a parent die.

My secret didn't matter anymore.

I crawled toward them, legs too unsteady to walk. Someone said something to me, but I ignored them. When I got there, Galen tried to lead me away.

"I can help them!" I snapped and pushed his hand away, annoyed that he would want to stop me.

"Child, there's nothing we can do." Ruba shook her head and reached for my arm.

I recoiled and hissed, "Let me save them!" I barely recognized my own voice. The vehemence felt foreign to me, but I was single-minded in my purpose. They would die if I couldn't reach them. I had to save them.

She backed away, and I faced the mother's blackened body. I felt no revulsion as I laid my hands upon her reddened chest. I closed my eyes, focused my mind, and opened my floodgates, pouring my healing energy into her, breathing in new life. I cracked my eyes open to check her progress, but it was slower than I'd expected. I'd never tried healing someone so completely damaged before.

I doubled my efforts, willing her charred flesh into bright, pink skin. I heard astonished gasps and murmurs all around me.

It was working.

And I was weakening.

I pulled my hands away, breathing hard. My lungs wheezed from all the smoke I had inhaled. I had to heal the father now or I may not have the strength.

Various pairs of feet moved out of my way as I crawled around to the other side. He was a little less burned, but the damage was still extensive. I covered his chest with my hands and closed my eyes again, commanding as much healing energy as I could muster. He couldn't die. He just couldn't.

I checked my progress, but it was even slower than before. With a frown I stared hard into the man's face, pushing my hands against his chest, willing my strength to become his.

"Please," I mumbled under my breath. "Just a little . . . more."

Ever so gradually, the blisters began to fade. My body shook with the effort, my mind dizzying, but I refused to give in. This was my purpose. At this very moment, there was nothing but this.

My vision blurred, and my breathing turned ragged. The small trickle of energy I had left slowly dripped away from me. It was everything I could give him . . . everything.

I was dimly aware of my body slumping over, and then everything slid into darkness.

Whew! She did it! I think Siena deserves a vote after all that.