Chapter 14b

When he arrived at our table he leaned forward, resting his weight on his elbows. "I didn't expect to find all my favorite ladies at the same table," he said with a wink.

Nirrin and Sember both giggled. I merely smiled, trying to contain the unexpected flip in my stomach after seeing him. He looked a lot like I remembered him from last night, both happy and weary at the same time. Only cleaner.

"Siena saved Wender from a snake bite yesterday!" Nirrin announced, obviously wanting to impress Remi, even though it wasn't her own accomplishment.

He raised his brows and looked curiously at me. "She did?"

"Yes, she's a healer! Did you know she was gifted? She just touches people and they get better! Isn't that amazing?" Nirrin was almost bouncing in her seat.

His eyes never left mine as he nodded. "Yes, it is amazing." One corner of his mouth lifted. It was a tiny movement, but it warmed me, and I wasn't sure why his approval meant so much.

My insides knotted strangely, so I looked down at my tray and concentrated hard on breaking a corn cake into pieces.

He stole one of the pieces and asked, "What else happened while I was out?"

Nirrin was more than happy to supply answers. "Siena also saved Sember's parents from a fire! That's when we first found out she was gifted."

"A fire?"

"Yes, Sember started it. It was an accident. It was huge."

I felt Remi's eyes on me again, but I was watching Sember. She frowned into her lap, her breathing shallow.

"Sember, don't think about it," I said gently.

She jumped to her feet, mumbled, "I'm sorry" without looking up, and ran away.

"Where is she going?" Nirrin asked, eyebrows squishing together.

"She's still coping. She feels very bad about it. Maybe you shouldn't bring it up for a while."

"Oh." Nirrin's face pinched in thought for a moment. "I didn't think I was being mean."

"I know. Just give her some time."

"I'm going to go talk to Goben," she said. She pushed her tray in front of me and left the table.

Remi slid into the vacant seat and fixed his green-brown gaze on me. "A lot has happened since I've been gone."

I smiled and nodded, tracing circles around the rim of the honey bowl.

"I haven't been back long, but I can tell the people here respect you. A lot."

My hand stilled. "A lot?" I could hear the doubt in my voice.

He chuckled. "They love you. They give you honey."

I turned my incredulous eyes on him, thinking he was teasing, but his own eyes were wide with sincerity. A warmth spread through me, and I couldn't tell if it was at the thought of being loved and respected, or if it was because Remi's eyes were roving over my face.

"You seem a little different," he commented.

"You mean I'm able to open my eyes," I said drily, recalling my sleepy stupor last night.

Remi laughed. "I don't think I've ever had such a hard time waking someone before."

"I was recuperating!" I said indignantly.

His face turned serious again. "Siena, I'm really glad you decided to share yourself with the Forestfolk. You seem comfortable now. You belong here. You feel it, don't you?"

"Yes." I didn't look away this time. "I do. I love it here."

Remi's hand slid across the table and grasped mine. My breath caught in my throat and I swallowed. It was warm against mine, and I fell into the depths of his hazel eyes. My brain was reeling. I wasn't sure what was happening. My time with Meresh never felt like this.

I looked away. Meresh. Had he survived? Had anyone survived? I didn't really miss them, but . . . all that slaughter. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Remi squeezed my hand and I returned my gaze to his. "What were you thinking about?" he asked.

"What did you find out? While you were out there?"

The light in his eyes dimmed a little and his hand slipped away. "It isn't good."

"Do you know if . . . if anyone survived at the Zurbo compound?"

"I don't know. It looked . . . deserted. Was there someone there . . . you missed?" His voice sounded tentative, as if dreading my answer.

"Not really," I answered. "Maybe a friend. Though I don't know if I ever had any real friends." My face reddened at the admission.

Sensing my discomfort, he changed the subject. "So tell me how it happened." He leaned forward on his elbows.

"How what happened?"

"When you first showed them your gift."

"Oh. Um . . ." Heat flushed my face for some reason.

"I would have loved to see that," he said, eyes expectant.

Feeling encouraged, I recounted the entire story, finishing with, "After that, I'm not sure what happened. I kind of passed out."

He looked at me with wonder in his eyes. "Now I really wish I could have been there! No wonder people respect you. You truly earned it."

I didn't know if I could ever get used to people being awed by what I could do. It felt like they were talking about someone else. "I just did what anyone else would have done."

Remi smiled at me like he thought I was being too humble. Or crazy. "Siena, that's the thing. Not everyone else would do what you did, even if they had the ability. I think only Goben would run into a burning building."

"You would too," I said.

"True." He smiled and dipped a finger into the honey. "We're both pretty great."

I laughed, but it was short lived. "Remi, what happens next?"

He thoughtfully sucked the honey off his finger and replied, "You keep on doing what you do, as long as you feel like doing it."

"No, I mean, you said it wasn't good, what you found. It affects Foresthome, doesn't it?"

He looked pensive, almost unwilling to tell me, and took a carrot, dragging it through the honey and crunching into it.

"Remi, you're going to tell everyone later anyway, right?"

He sighed and nodded. "I wanted to enjoy our time together without bad news hanging between us."

"Remi . . ." I chewed on my lip. Something tugged at my heart, and I didn't know what to do with it. "You know me. I need time to . . . process things."

He nodded. "I understand. I just missed you is all."

Warmth trickled up to my face and bloomed into a smile. "I missed you too."

"Let's go for a walk," he suggested. "And I'll tell you about what I learned."

Big news is coming... perhaps cast a vote before you move on? Thank you!