Chapter 20a

It was dark when we saw the glittering clusters of torches in the distance. Remi returned to tell us that it was the Krat compound.

I stopped. This was it, and I had no idea what I was supposed to do. It occurred to me that I hadn't thought about this moment at all. "What happens next?" I asked, eyes darting to the dots of light. "Do we walk in and say 'Hi, we just need to kill your leader'? I don't think that would go over well."

"Our best chance is to go in after they've gone to sleep," Galen said and looked up at the waning moon high overhead. "There will probably be guards."

"Which is why I should go in alone," Remi stated.

"What? No!" I blurted without thinking.

"Siena, it's the best chance we have," Remi explained. "I can sneak in undetected."

"But . . ." My voice petered out and I rubbed my arms. I had no valid reason other than to keep him safe.

I looked to Galen. "Shouldn't you go with him, then? To warn him of danger?"

"I plan to," he said. Remi started to protest, but Galen cut him off. "Remi, I can find us the best path in, past the patrols."

I felt a little relief that Remi wouldn't be alone, but I was also dismayed that I would be left out on the sidelines, with nothing to do but watch.

While we waited for the night to progress, we approached the compound as close as we dared. Close enough to see the perimeter and the guards. It was very similar to the Zurbo compound, with poles forming a fence, and wide gaps for exits.

We slowly circled around, careful to avoid detection, observing the guard movements and behavior. When the moon had advanced far across the sky and the number of lit torches became few, they moved in. They left their supplies with me and took only their weapons. I was to wait by some shrubs, keeping out of sight and quiet. I didn't like the arrangement, but what else could I do? I wasn't a fighter, and wasn't even particularly stealthy. I think it was my sheer stubbornness that had gotten me on this trip in the first place.

With a huge sigh, I sat down among the shrubs and watched as they advanced toward the compound, illuminated only slightly by the dim light of the waning moon.

They crept along the perimeter fence. A guard strolled out of the entrance, and I nearly screamed a warning. I held my breath instead, muscles taut with the desire to run and help somehow. To do something besides watching helplessly.

Galen tugged Remi back into the shadows just as the guard passed them and turned in another direction. When they slipped inside where I could no longer see them, I released my breath and waited. It wasn't long before I found myself wringing my hands. This was a horrible idea. What were we doing here? What were we thinking? None of us were assassins!

Time passed.

Nothing was happening.

I had to remind myself numerous times that this was a good thing. If all went well, no one would be aware of their presence. They would rejoin me out here, whereupon we could quietly slip away and head home.

I watched the guards as they yawned and strolled about. All I could hear were crickets and an occasional night bird.

More time passed.

The wait was interminable.

And then something happened.

There was a shout, then more shouts. The guards outside ran into the compound. I frantically searched the darkness for signs of Galen or Remi, but no one came out. I stood up, fists clenched with indecision. I searched again. Where were they?

I couldn't wait any longer. If they were caught, then it wouldn't be long before they were killed. Seeing no guards outside, I ran full speed to the compound perimeter and plastered my back against it. Edging to the entrance, I peeked in and saw a commotion outside the largest hut.

My heart sank to the floor when I saw both Galen and Remi dragged out of the large hut, a guard on each arm. I clapped a hand over my mouth to stop myself from screaming.

Since all the guards had left their posts, I was able to slip into the compound and sidle up next to a hut. Seeing no onlookers, I skittered closer to hide behind a small shed. My heart thundered. I had no plan. No idea what I was doing. I glanced at the stick still strapped to my thigh and almost laughed. As if I could take out even one of those men, much less five. I peeked around the corner again. Ten now.

Oh NO! This chapter has three parts. Quick vote, then move on, hurry!