Chapter 13b

Nirrin bounded up excitedly. "Siena! You're awake! Now I know why you sleep so much."

I couldn't stop smiling at her exuberance.

"I didn't know you were gifted? Did you know?" She gestured animatedly. "Of course you knew. Why didn't you tell anyone? You were amazing!"

I didn't know how to respond, but there didn't seem to be any gaps for me to speak anyway.

Nirrin paused and turned her exuberance on Sember. "Did you stay up all night? Bren wouldn't let me stay with you. She said I would just bother Siena."

Sember smiled hesitantly at the attention, as if expecting derision from the other girl.

Nirrin continued her verbal onslaught. "Bren said it was an accident, and that what happened wasn't your fault. I know all about accidents." She giggled. "Bren says I'm a tornado."

I laughed. Tornado was an apt description.

Sember and I found some picked-through leftovers and sat down to eat. Nirrin sat with us, and before Nirrin could resume talking, Sember reluctantly asked, "Is . . . is Goben mad at me?"

"Goben?" Nirrin seemed surprised at the thought. "I don't think so. He's with your parents. They still look really pink, and kind of funny-looking."

The commons was mostly empty, but as we ate I could feel eyes upon me from those who happened to meander past. I avoided their gazes, not willing to see their distaste for me and the false front I had worn the entire time I'd been here. I felt grateful for the company of these little girls, who seemed oblivious to my plight.

Concerned about the "pinkness," I suggested we visit Sember's parents after our meal. Considering how weak I had been yesterday, and how badly burned they were, I probably hadn't healed them very well.

Nirrin led the way. Since their cabin had been destroyed, Goben's family was temporarily staying at the large cabin for children, where Nirrin slept. Goben was sitting on the ground just outside the doorway, drawing circles in the dirt with a stick. He looked up as we approached, and a gap-toothed smile broke out on his face.

"You made it!" He flung himself around my waist. "I was so afraid you wouldn't wake up."

The sudden embrace startled me, and I stiffened. He wouldn't let go, so I awkwardly stroked his red hair.

"You saved our parents. You saved our family. Thank you. Thank you."

The large cabin was part of a square where several paths converged. Several people walked past, and I could feel their stares, so I kept my eyes on the ground.

Goben broke away and pulled my hand toward the entrance. "Come on! My parents want to meet you."

I followed, glad to be away from the open, where gawkers could see me.

The walls were lined with bunks where the children slept. The wooden floor was clean, but littered with various rag dolls and toys. Goben led me to the far corner, where one area was curtained off from the rest of the cabin. He pushed it aside and eagerly pulled me in after him.

"Mama! Papa!" he announced. "Siena's awake!"

I suddenly felt shy. Both his parents were lying together in a large bed, their faces turned toward me. They smiled, though it looked painful. The translucent pink skin on their faces sagged slightly, as if made from melting wax. Their hair had mostly burned away, leaving patchy, reddish wisps.

"Siena." The woman was the first to speak, her voice hoarse. "You are a blessing to the Forestfolk. Thank you."

"Yes," the man joined her. "With all that we are, we thank you."

I opened my mouth, but I discovered that I had no words. I was not accustomed to so much gratitude. Surely these people must be delirious.

"I don't think I did a very good job," I mumbled, wringing my hands with uncertainty. "You appear to still be in pain."

"Goben told us what you did," said the woman. "That you gave us everything you had before fainting from the effort. It was more than enough, child. We are alive, because of you."

She held a scarred hand out to me and I stepped closer to take it. She gripped it with more strength than I would have expected and peered into my hesitant eyes. "I can't presume to know what your life was like with the tribe, but never be ashamed of your gift."

I almost cried. Instead, I allowed my healing energy to flow through my hand and into hers, to finish what I couldn't yesterday. Her eyes grew wide and her mouth opened, an almost ecstatic expression on her face. The scars on her hands disappeared, her skin tightened, and the angry pink tint faded.

"Ohh . . ." She turned her other hand over and over, as if disbelieving what she saw.

The man gaped at her transformation, looking at our faces and joined hands.

I let go of her hand then, satisfied that she was completely healed this time. I looked into the eyes of Goben's father, searching for consent to be healed next. He held out his hand, and I circled around the bed to take it. His face went through the same euphoria as his wounds faded and his skin returned to a healthy sheen.

When I let go, I had to place a hand on the bed to steady myself while the dizziness passed.

He recaptured my hand in both of his and looked earnestly into my eyes. "If there is ever anything we can do for you, anything at all, you have only to ask. We are in your debt."

I looked to Goben's mother and she nodded in agreement.

I pulled my hand back and wrung it with the other. "That's not necessary." Though it felt good to hear those words, it also felt strange.

"Nevertheless," he said, "you have our deepest, heartfelt thanks."

I nodded, unsure what to do or say next. Fifteen years of living in near-isolation with the Zurbos had stunted my opportunities to learn about social graces. So instead, I ducked my head.

Sember chose the right time to save me. "Mama, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it."

"I know, my little squirrel. It was an accident," her mother soothed and pulled her little girl to her chest. "You just have to be careful, do you understand?"

Sember nodded against her chest, squeezing her eyes shut. "I won't get mad ever again."

Her mother chuckled. "Perhaps a more realistic promise would be better."

Sember thought for a moment, then said, "I promise not to get mad today."

Her mother laughed again and stroked Sember's hair.

I felt like I was intruding on the family's private moment, so I excused myself and left.

She's finally getting the gratitude she deserves. This calls for a celebratory vote! :D (And now on to the last part of this chapter. I know, it's longer than the others.)