Chapter 12

Once again, she saw herself surrounded by flames but felt no heat. The noise of burning material around her and debris in the night air, and above the noise, a voice called out through the fire.
"Ria! Ria!" Desperate voices echoed on, until it faded when she felt herself being carried away by a shadow.
The shadow took her by the neck and choked her against the wall. She felt her wind pipe closing in, all the air in her lungs running out and her nose not being able to take in a breath. She struggled to break free but the strong familiar hands did not even budge away from its position. Ria felt herself slowly suffocating away............with one tight blink, she tried to wake herself from her dream.

Ria sat up from her bed to find herself breathing heavily. She touched her neck and felt herself sweating so much. She began to calm herself down, and looked around for the time. It was 2am in the morning. She wiped the sweat off her forehead that not even the air con in the room could cool off. She looked around her before deciding that she may not be able to go back to bed. So Ria got herself out of bed and slowly walked out of her room. She decided to head down to the kitchen, to get herself a glass of milk.

As she headed down the dark hallway she thought she heard something moving in the kitchen. At first she clearly heard the back door shut, and footsteps were heard; walking in. Ria heard the rustle of hanging pots and the sudden drop of a cooking pan.

"Oh shit!" she heard a deep masculine voice curse in the dark. Ria quickly grabbed the mop stick that stood at the kitchen doorway and hid herself behind a wall. Her heart was beating fast in a slight trembling fear. Someone had broken into the house and she wondered who could the trespasser or thief be?
So she planned, that if the man ever came out of the kitchen through that doorway, she would go for him with the mop stick. Ria heard the footsteps coming closer, and closer to the doorway. The moment she saw his head pop out, she hit it with her mop stick!
"Oww! Hey! What the f-" he yowled in pain.

"Take that! And that!" Ria said aloud, giving him a real beating. The guy fled back into the kitchen to get away from his attacker. After several hits, Ria finally decided to turn on the switch. The moment the lights came on, Ria saw a tall, well built, guy behind the counter and the hanging pots. He had grabbed one of the frying pans and held it up in front of him to defend himself. "Who are you!" Ria said aloud.

"Who the hell are you?!" the guy questioned back, in a clear deep voice. He saw the girl with unruly hair, that he thought almost looked like a scary old witch holding a mop stick at him. "What are you doing here?"

"What are you doing here!" Ria questioned back. "If you're a thief, don't even think of going past that door way!"

"Thief? You're the one who looks more like a thief, between the two of us!" the guy stated.

"You have ten seconds Mister. To walk out that door or feel more pain from this mop,"

"Seriously?" he replied. "It's either I'm in the wrong house, or you're a ghost in my mind!"

"Or how 'bout you just admit you were trying to break in?" Ria stated.

"Why would I break in to my own-"

"Hayne?" Mr. Harber asked in surprise, when he appeared sleepily behind Ria. Ria turned back, being more surprised that, Mr. Harber knew him and called him, Hayne.

"Who?" Ria asked.

"Our son," Mr. Harber answered.

"Er-your son?" she mumbled in surprise. "He's your son?"

"Hayne," Mrs. Harber said after coming into the kitchen as well, "What are you doing here?"

"Wow. Well it's nice to see you too mom! Should I remind you that I live here or did you happen to kick me out while I was gone?" Hayne said, sounding offended as he stepped out from behind the counter. "Who is she?"