Chapter 10

Ria woke up so late the next morning. She never realized how much her body needed that long, good night sleep. She found herself, still in that big guest room, seeing the morning sun through the drapes of the windows. She was going to stretch out for a yawn, but instead gave a groan when she felt the pain in her stitched up shoulder. So she slowly got out of bed and headed into the bathroom.
She gave her face a quick wash, being careful to not disturb her bruises on the side of her cheeks and chin, and the wound on her bandaged head. Then she finally headed downstairs that morning. Looking around, she clearly found the house to be much bigger and stylish than she remembered last night.
When she walked into the living room, she studied the photos and the paintings on the wall. There were remarkable paintings of sunsets and flowers, while the photos showed Mr and Mrs. Harber and their small daughter. She was a cute little brunette with pretty hazel eyes and had her mother's nose and chin.

"Hi!" Ria was startled by a young kid's voice, that sounded from behind her. She turned around and saw the same small girl from the photos, in a lovely purple and pink short dress; standing by the couch.

"Hi," Ria answered, looking down at her.

"Are you lost?" she asked.

"Uhh.......I don't..........think so," Ria replied, sounding confused.

"If you're tryin' to find the kitchen, it's that way. Just at the far right corner of the hall, or you can enter the dining room right there and enter the doorway to the kitchen," the small girl answered. "Sheela's makin' some really nice-looking pancakes. Although they're quite bigger and thin and harder to chew."

"Oh, I'm not looking for the kitchen-" Ria replied, before the small girl could grab her hand and drag her out.

"Come on," she said. Ria felt herself being pulled right across the hallway. "Oh, and my name's Sophie."

"Sophie? Pretty name

"Sophie? Pretty name. Call me, Ria," Ria replied, then they entered into a spacious kitchen. Ria saw an Indian woman dressed in her traditional dress, she was cooking something on the stove. Ria smelled the wonderful aroma of what she was cooking and saw the white steam given off in the air from the open pots. When the lady turned around, she placed some white plates on the counter before them.

"Hi, you must be the girl Mrs. Harber was talking about," she spoke in her Indian accent. "I'm Sheela. Please, sit down for some breakfast." Sophie jumped on the swinging stool while Ria took her seat beside her.

"So did you get any stitches after your accident?" Sophie asked curiously. "I only got one when I was five. I drove my bicycle right into the drain and got hurt, really bad. My mom gave me a few stitches right away, just in the bathroom. I couldn't ride my bike again for another month. Do you know the best thing about ridin' bikes? My mom says it increases my, car-diovas-cular fitness. But I think it's just fun to speed down the driveway. Even more fun than the swing, but my mom says that if I'm gonna continue doing ballet, I will have to stop ridin' my bike if it's gonna get me hurt again but I-"