Chapter 36

Devlin threw her coat onto the armchair when she stomped up to the fireplace. Bolton followed her in with a slightly fearful face and he was also accompanied by Dameon. Dameon knew his aunt was in quite an infuriated state. Ever since the press conference, she wasn't able to calm herself down from being so angry at everyone and especially her father.

"Why won't he change it?" she questioned her a scary tone.

"It is his to decide whoever he wants to inherit what he owns," Bolton shrugged uneasily.

"I must see him," Devlin stated, "I'm gonna have to talk him out of this big  blunder."

"I'm afraid that won't be possible at the moment Aunt Dev," Dameon told her, "Gramps just went into a long coma last night."

"A coma?" Devlin's eyes grew even more disappointed. But she smiled a sarcastic smile to herself as she turned to the bottle of vodka on the table to pour herself a glass.

Suddenly the double doors opened and in walked Bastian and their mother. Madame Sebana held an expressionless face all along. Her husband had truly given her quite a surprise, it was something she wasn't expecting but promised to accept. Bastian was coming in with the morning paper at hand and he held up the front page.

"You read this?" he asked Devlin. She looked up to see the headlines that read in bold, 'SEBANA SURPRISE, CEO Chooses Unknown Heir'. Devlin rolled her eyes at it before taking in another glass. "It's all over the paper, the net, magazines! We couldn't have been more publicly humiliated."

"It's not that bad," Dameon shrugged.

"No it's not, but it could break off ties with all our close partners," his uncle added. "Mama, you have to talk to Papa when he wakes up."

"That's if he wakes up," everyone in the room was surprised by what Devlin said. Then she turned to her mother, "You knew this, didn't you?" Her mother fell silent and kept her gaze on her. "You knew he'd do this."

"I did not," Madame Sebana answered truthfully. "But I knew it'd be an unexpected surprise. Because that was what your father told me."

"Is he playing a bad joke on us?" Devlin raised her voice, "This is our family legacy we're talking about. The most refined rum business and empire in the world! What was he thinking, Mama?"

"Do you think he might also need..........psychological help?" Bastian stated.

"Are you serious? My grandfather is sick in the gut, not the brain," Dameon snapped.

"There are possible ways Dameon, that he could've been facing psychological problems. Some sicknesses can also cause people to think that they're still living in the past," his uncle replied. "What do you call it ah..."

"The will is valid till next year. It will expire on the same date it was read, only a year from now," Bolton said.

"And what happens once it expires?" Bastian asked, "Will it go to another trustee?"

"No. Automatically, a quarter of it will go to the family and the rest belongs to the state of Trinidad," Bolton answered.

"What! A quarter?!!" Devlin was shocked to her bones. Their father was not planning on leaving anything to his children or grandchildren.

"So the so-called appointed heir, must claim the inheritance before it becomes invalid,"

"This is just bizarre and outrageous," Bastian shook his head, "How the hell do you think we're supposed to deal with that? That will is a total fraud."

"I'm afraid not. It has your father's authentic signature and his seal on it," Bolton replied.

"I've already promised your father that I will respect his decision. Especially this last request of his," Madame Sebana said, "I cannot back down on my word. If this was what he wanted, then there is a reason behind it." Devlin and Bastian exchanged a look, that Dameon noticed.