Lena

I slump down against the wall.

This can't be happening.

A  couple days ago Griffin and I came to my dad's place of work.

Only to find out that my dad is a complete psycho.

*several minutes ago*

Griffin clicks to another page and we find an email my dad sent to Richard Hart.

"So he was planning to kill us all anyway." Griffin states after we finish reading.

"So all the kids that went over to the other side..." I trail off, my stomach twisting as he turns to look at me.

"Yeah." He stands up, closing the laptop. "They're dead."

*

I lean against the wall and shut my eyes tight.

I can't believe this is happening.

Griffin comes and sits next to me, grabbing my hand and squeezing it.

I give him a thankful look, happy that he's here and I'm not alone.

We suddenly hear a crash from the closet and my heart stops, Griffin jumping up to defend us.

Griffin looks at the fallen box and we both wonder what made it fall.

I stand up and peak around the door frame, seeing a shaking boy sitting there in the fetal position.

"Oh my god, I thought you were a Reeper." He says quietly and I help him out.

"What are you doing in the closet?" Griffin asks and he dusts himself off.

"I got stuck in here a couple days ago and I couldn't get out. There's Reepers everywhere."

"What's your name?" I ask and he looks at me.

"Dylan." 

"What happened to your arm?" My eyes find his elbow, seeing a gash from the wrist to where his arm bends.

"I fell." His eyes blink rapidly and I wonder if he's telling the truth.

"You're welcome to come back with us. Riley could clean you up."

"Griffin, we really don't-"

"Shush Lena, he'll be fine."

I drop the subject and walk over to the door.

I make sure it's clear then open it.

Griffin tries to stop me but I'm already gone.

I make my way through the halls, knowing this layout like the back of my hand.

"Where are you going?" Griffin shouts after me, his voice echoing the hallow halls, making it seem emptier than it is.

I finally find my dads office and push inside, bringing my right foot up to kick the desk lamp off the wooden surface.

I push over the file cabinet and rip the papers out of the binder he has open on the top of a stack of manilla envelopes.

Everything that I was feeling in that moment; anger, sadness, hatred, resentment, animosity- all of it subsided when Griffin put his hand on my shoulder.

"I can't even begin to imagine what the hell is running through his head." I whisper and I feel two presences behind me, forgetting Dylan even exists. "Every time he picked me up or showed me a new song, every day when we used to get ice cream or stop at the park. He was always just my dad. I never pictured him going into work and running this giant company where he looked down on people and everybody called him 'sir'. He was the guy who pulled out my first tooth because I was afraid to. He's the one who listened to me cry over Jonathan Forwent in high school." I slowly move into Griffin's chest and he holds me there for a long time. "The guy who makes pickle and cream cheese sandwiches and you don't complain because you don't want to break his heart." I sniffle and try and wipe my cheeks with the back of my hand. "And after my mom got deported, sure he went kinda crazy and threw himself into his work but he never would do this. Not if he's still the father that I grew up with." I sob bubbles out of mouth and Griffin moves his hand up and down my back.