Chapter 19

The insides of the temple seemed rather unimpressive – bleak wooden corridors, dusts and shadows making an intimidating duet. If not the awareness of an ancient wish granting device somewhere down the hall, building wouldn't catch your eye at all. But the fact that tonight someone will take the cup in this very shrine was enough to make you shiver.

You continued to examine the territory as you walked down the corridors but didn't see anything that would give away the Grail's location. Soon you found a strange looking door which was much bigger and more decorated than any other construction here. Could it be...? Mechanically you pulled out your sword, which reflected the moonlight, and glanced at your inanimate partner throughout the years. It showed you the look on your face – skin was paler that usually and having blood leave your naturally pale complexion made you look like a dead ghost. But the light didn't leave your eyes –determination to win was crafted deep into them.

You stepped towards the door and put your hand on a door knob – despite the heavy looking structure they opened easily. Moment after, you found yourself in a large white room. It had nothing in it – no furniture, no windows – like a huge futuristically white basement with lights all over the ceiling. You followed the light bulbs further, exploring the territory which was so strange to be found in an old temple like this.

And your eyes finally met the person you were destined to fight from the beginning.

His black spiky hair and eyes were looking right at you. Gaze intimidating but calm. His eyes seemed so... tired. The burden he was carrying during this war was finally starting to show itself. You felt sorry for the guy for a mere second, but then remembered that he is the last one standing, together with you, and who knows what he have done to get here.

"Tohsaka (y/n)." His cold voice was the first one to break the silence.

"Emiya Kiritsugu." You followed the formality.

"Who would have thought that you would be my last opponent? An orphan girl from famous, soon-to-be-forgotten Tohsaka family."

"Do you have a problem with that?" You asked. His voice was so irritating – calm but mocking like he did that unintentionally but with purpose.

"No, not at all. I'll win Grail easier that I had had expected."

"I wouldn't write me off if I was you."

"Let your sword do the talking." Kiritsugu said as he turned his head towards your white sword.

"Start the conversation then." You encouraged him to pull out his guns.

He smiled and tugged his hand in his coat to take out his weapon. It was a black shotgun, ready to take you down. But today was not the day, you decided. No holding back, you'll use every magic you know to win this war.

And it began.

Kiritsugu quickly braced gun against his shoulder and pulled the trigger. Shower of bullets came straight to you and you decided to use magic you usually don't use until the last minute – reinforcement magic. After the blast of power your hands were fast enough to block all the bullets. But when the last one touched the ground Kiritsugu was right in front of you with a knife pointed towards your throat.

That was too fast, no way could he move like that. You fueled your legs with the magic and dodged it but the tip still touched your check and now a small trail of blood was warming your face. You wiped it away and glared at your opponent. Was he using reinforcement magic? But his cut wasn't fast enough. And you could swear you didn't see the guy move – he just appeared out of the blue before you could comprehend him moving.