Chapter 1: One of Those Crazy Girls

"Buh tha party's not even done yeh," Hayley managed to slur with a whine.

"I know," I said as I helped her to the car. I sat her into the passenger seat and buckled Hayley in.

"Yohrk," she tried.

"What?" I sighed, my tone being bitter, like the scent of alcohol in her breath.

"Lemme drive," she said with a slow smile. I shook my head.

"No," I said sternly.

"Wha nah?" she asked.

"Because you're drunk as hell," I spat. Hayley tossed her head back on the headrest and let out a soft laugh.

"Yurr funneh, Yohrk," she sighed as her intoxicated and intoxicating eyes locked on mine. I tore the gaze immediately and got into the driver's seat. "York?"

"What?" I sighed as I started the car. She lazily lulled her head towards me to look up at me again, with a drunken, but genuine smile.

"Thank you," she said. I studied her for a few seconds, then back at my hands that gripped the steering wheel until my knuckles were white.

"For what?" I asked. Hayley thought for a moment, then giggled.

"Ah'll geh back to yew ahn thah," she slurred with a laugh. I ignored it and drove off, taking her to my place. Hayley was far too intoxicated to be left home, by herself.

        Once we got to my house, I helped her into the guest room that might as well be her room. As I turned to leave the room, I was interrupted by Hayley's voice, "York?"

"Yeah?" I sighed, not turning to face her. The alcohol was slowly wearing off in her system.

"Thanks," she said again. "I finally got it and... I wanna say thanks for helping me."

"Yeah," I sighed. There was quietness between us.

       One thing I hated the most was seeing Hayley ruin her life with alcohol and drugs. It seemed as if it was only days ago she promised herself and me that she would never do such things. But then, I remember that it was years ago. And she was only fifteen. Now I'm stuck to look after the drunken twenty-five-year old I've known my whole life. A lot can change in ten years

"There's Tylenol in the medicine cabinet," I said as I looked at her over my shoulder. "Also other morning-after pills." Hayley nodded.

"What's up with you, York?" she asked with a lopsided, red smile.

"What do you mean?" I asked, my voice still a harsh tone.

"Got a tree growing out your ass or something?" I glared at Hayley. Outspoken, as always.

"No," I spat. "Goodnight, Hayley."

"Night, York," she snickered as she lied down on the bed she had sat in. "Don't let the bed bugs bite." I brushed her last comment off as I exited the room and closed the door. I went to my room and lied down, staring up at the ceiling.

Hayley was ruining her life without even knowing it. I hated to see her in such a state of self destruction. But with her attitude of not caring of what anyone says, who am I to tell her what to do? And what's it all worth, if she's not going to listen?