Chapter 20: You Deserve to be Alive

Taylor's POV

I ran into her house, the door slamming against the wall as I swung it open.
"Hayley?" I called, looking around for her. I heard a small groan from the hallway; I turned my attention there, finding Hayley lying on the floor, her back against the wall. Her eyes were slowly falling to a close.
"No, no no, HAYLEY!" I screamed as I rushed to her. I fell to my knees beside her and gathered her into my arms, a sob escaping me. "Hayley, no..." She struggled to fight death, her perfect face now wan. "Hayley, no," I begged. "I need you here, please. Don't do this to me."
"I-I'm sorry," she rasped, her voice very faint. I looked down at her, managing to put a smile on, but failed.
"I'm here, Hayley," I whispered. "I'm here."
"Taylor, I'm sorry," she repeated. A tear spilled onto her cheek. I wiped it away, then brushed her hair out of her face.
"Baby, it's okay. You're gonna be okay."
"No," she said. "I'm not. It's too late."
"It's not too late! I'll take you to hospital; everything will be fine!"
"I'll be happy," she rasped, a weak smile hesitating on her pale lips. "For once."
"Hayley, no," I demanded.
"I love you, Taylor," she said. Hayley held onto my hand, giving it a weak, subtle squeeze. "Don't you ever forget that."
"Hayley," I sighed brokenly, my voice breaking as tears blurred my vision.
    It was too late. Hayley's hazel eyes that once sparkled fluttered closed as she fell limp in my lap. Her hand fell from mine, her blood falling on mine as her wrist brushed against me. I held her close as I went into endless sobs. She was gone... and she was never coming back. I wouldn't be able to see her smile that half smile, or deal with her sarcastic wit. Most of all, I wouldn't be able to love her ever again. As I cried, only Hayley was in my mind. The way she used to call me stiff... her sleepless nights with a cigarette, her eyes. I wasn't ready to let her go. I could never let her go.
    After a moment, I pulled my phone out and dialed 9-11.
"What's your emergency?" a woman answered.
"I... I have a suicide," I choked out from my sobs. I rested Hayley's head on my lap, her face still showing. I stroked her red hair, tears occasionally falling onto her.
"Do you know what the person used for this suicide?" the woman asked.
"I don't know!" I yelled. "All I know is that she cut her wrists... she might have overdosed." I burst into heavier sobs. "I don't know... I just need someone to get her, please!"
"An ambulance is on its way, sir." I hung up the phone without anymore words. I held Hayley into an embrace again as I rocked her.
"Hayley, please... wake up," I begged. "Hayley, please. I need you." My sobbing and tears were uncontrollable and endless, by now.
"Hayley, please... I need you... I love you. Hayley, please..."
      Soon, there were sirens outside. Hayley never did wake up. She never regained any form of conscious. And knowing that fact, I died in a way, just like she did.