Chapter 6: It'll Never be You and Me

"York," I heard a voice whisper. Hands shook me, slowly taking me away from my sleep. I groggily opened my eyes.
"York, wake up," it whispered again. It was Hayley.
"Wha'?" I moaned sleepily. I heaved a sigh as I tried to rub the sleep off my face. "What is it?"
"Just wanted to say thanks for letting me stay the night," she said, her voice full of sincerity just like her half smile.
"Yeah... Yeah," I sighed, fighting a yawn. "Where're you off to?"
"Gonna smoke out with some friends."
"Oh," I said, finally becoming more conscious. I studied Hayley, her image finally being clearer to me. She smiled a little and gave my shoulder a playful punch.
"Get dressed, stiff," she chuckled. "I'm taking you with me."
"I don't smoke," I said as I sat up.
"Weed isn't only smoked, y'know?" she asked rhetorically. I shrugged, confident that Hayley knew everything you need to know about drugs.
"You won't die from it, I promise," she teased, reading my subconscious mind.
"What's in it for me?" I huffed as I ran a hand through my hair.
"I let you drive," she said in a sing-song voice. "It won't kill you."
"What happened to smoking once a month?" I asked.
"That's cigarettes. And this is part two of it. It's a once a month thing."
"Huh..." I walked over to my dresser and pulled out a random t-shirt with jeans.
"So, you coming or not?"
"If you insist."

***

I took my last puff of the joint, already used to the feeling thanks to a tutorial from Hayley.
"Not so much of stiff anymore, huh?" she chuckled. I lazily looked over at her with a smile. I gave a shrug.
"You sure this won't kill me?" I asked with a playful chuckle. Hayley smiled, her slightly puffy eyes staring into mine.
"I'm sure, York," she said. I could feel myself relaxing, being relived from my unknown stress. No wonder why she called me stiff. I never knew I was so tense until now.
"What's got you worked up, anyway?" she asked, staring up at the clear blue sky. The seconds that felt like hours, I forgot what Hayley had asked me.
"Huh?" I asked, switching my gaze to her. Hayley giggled and turned her head towards me.
"What's got your panties in a bunch?" she asked. I shrugged. I never had a reason to stress... or even knew a reason.
"You're not even fully high, you know?" she smirked.
"Well, that's good to know," I said with sincerity.
"Good thing we're outside your place."
"Yeah."
I kept my gaze on Hayley, becoming lost in her hazel eyes. I wasn't sure if it was the highness or if it were my true, conscious thoughts, but at that moment, I found myself hypnotized by Hayley's beauty. Her reckless, careless, mysterious beauty.
"Hayles," I sighed. She looked over at me, a question in her faintly bloodshot eyes. She nodded at me.
"What?" she asked.
"Can I tell you something that might sound crazy?" I tried. She gave me that famous, red half smile.
"I don't mind crazy," she said with a hint of a chuckle. "What is it?"
"I... I think I'm falling for your reckless ass," I laughed, not believing I was confessing this. Hayley laughed with me.
"No one has ever said that to me, York," she said, the smile still remaining on her lips. I wanted to kiss them right then and there, but I couldn't. Even if I tried. "Everyone I've been with are confidently sure they are in love with me. But you, York, are the first to hesitate."
"Really?" I quizzed, the same half smile growing on my face. Hayley nodded.
"I like that," she said. "Shows that I can trust you."
"What if I were definite?"
"York," she giggled. "I know you. You think before acting, unlike me."
"You actually confess you don't think--"
"And you just confessed that you might be falling in love with a renegade," she interrupted with a wink. My smile grew a little as I snickered a little.
"Yeah," I said with a nod. "Guess I did."
"Aw, damn," Hayley giggled as she clutched her stomach. "The munchies are gettin' to me. You've got food, right?"
"Of course," I said, hunger striking me as well.
"I'm craving Chinese food; I dunno about you."
"I'm fine with anything."
"Great, let's go." Hayley hopped to her feet, then pulled me up. As we drove to the nearest Chinese restaurant, I couldn't help but to glance over at Hayley, her beauty almost distracting me. It wasn't only that.... What got me the most was that I couldn't stand a chance with her. She wouldn't want to be with me. A stiff.