Chapter 14: We All Learn to Make Mistakes

It has been a while since Hayley and I went to a party. The music sent a good vibe to us, it feeling anew, even though Hayley was very familiar with it all. It was held at an acquaintance's house, the entire place full of people, inside and out.

Hayley held my hand as we made our way through the dancing crowd, going for the drinks. Hayley brought me a drink as we sat down in the kitchen.

"Don't be a stiff, York," she teased, shaking a finger at me. I chuckled as I took a sip of the alcohol.

"I won't," I chuckled.

"Are you going to dance?" she quizzed. I gave her a shrug.

"I don't know," I admitted. Dancing was never my thing. "Maybe."

"Will you dance with me?"

"Maybe," I chuckled. Hayley rolled her eyes with a smirk.

"You're becoming a stiff already!" she laughed. "Come on!" She took my cup out of my hand and put it next to hers on the counter; Hayley pulled me up to my feet with a laugh.

"Come on, York," she coaxed. "Just feel the music. I'm not a dancer, either. Just groove a little." She swayed to the music as she snapped her fingers to the beat. I copied, still hesitant at first. Hayley smiled and nodded. "There you go! That's just the basics. You can add anything else to spice it up."

"Anything?" I quizzed as I rose a brow.

"Well, almost anything," she giggled. "You can raise your arms up, do something else with your feet. You can spin around," she listed. She turned around, her body close to mine as she danced. She looked up at me with a smile. "Yeah, like that."

"Uh, okay," I smirked nervously. Hayley held my hand again and dragged me towards the crowd. "Wh-Where are we going?"

"Dancing," Hayley giggled as she looked back at me, her hazel eyes lightening the room. I didn't fight it off. I smiled at her and let her drag me to the dance floor, where we danced for hours. It was all amazing, having fun with Hayley. But the best part was seeing her smile; seeing the pain in her eyes dissolve.

As another hour of dancing passed, Hayley still danced. She turned to me with a grin across her face.

"I'll be right back!" she yelled over the music. I nodded and Hayley left me to dance alone until she did return.

"Hey there," an unfamiliar voice chimed. I looked behind me, finding a young woman with black hair past her shoulders with green tips. Her eyes were an ordinary brown, her face was friendly. She had a stud on her nose and a ring on her wine red painted lips.

"Hey," I said, returning her friendly smile.

"You here, alone?" she asked.

"Well, actually, I--"

"Doesn't matter. C'mon!" Before I could say anything else, she grabbed my wrist and dragged me with her through the crowd. No matter how hard I tried to break her grasp, it was stronger than I thought. She pulled me up the stairs with her and rushed into the hallway.

"Silly me," she giggled. I could smell alcohol in her breath. She was beyond drunk. "My name is Britney. But call me Brit."

"Uhh, I'm supposed to meet--"

"Oh, have some fun with me," she giggled as she pulled me into a bedroom. She closed the door behind us and crashed her lips against mine. Bile almost rose in my throat, not familiar with her foreign lips. I struggled to keep her away. "Don't be shy, cutie!"

"Please, Brit! Stop!" I demanded. Brit only giggled as she led me to a dead end, being stuck between the wall that was far across from the door and her. Britney began to unbutton my shirt as she trailed kisses down my neck, leaving her wine lip stains on my skin.

The door swung open. I quickly looked over to see who was there, hoping they could rescue me from this uncomfortable situation.

"York!" Hayley laughed, not seeing the scene yet. "I thought I'd never--" She stopped in mid-sentence, her face falling as she took in the picture.

"Hayley," I tried, pushing Brit off of me. "Hayley, it's not what it looks like."

"Y-Yor... What is this?" she stammered, her voice already broken. I couldn't force myself to speak. Hayley pursed her lips as her eyes glazed over. She tossed the cups in her hands and stormed off.

"Hayley, wait!" I called. I ran out the room, finding her no longer in the hallway. I heaved a sigh as I ran down the stairs, spotting her walking out the door. I pushed through the crowd as I ran after her. As soon as I was outside, Hayley was already in her car, speeding off to somewhere unknown. I got in my car and followed.