Epilogue: This Heart, It Beats

{One Month Later...)

It was late. I stood from my bed, unable to sleep again. I grabbed my jacket, car keys, and a pack of cigarettes as I made my way to my car. After a bit of driving, I stopped at an empty, grassy area with few trees. I strolled through the place as I lit my cigarette and blowing a cloud into the night sky.

I stopped at a tree that towered over me, some branches low with its leaves swaying with the breeze. I leaned against it and looked up into the starry sky, creating another cloud there. I looked down at Hayley's grave that was next to me. I smiled down at her.

"Hey, you," I said. "God, I miss you." I took another draw of my cigarette. I looked down at the burning item in my hand and smirked. I looked back at Hayley. "You were right," I chuckled. "I did get into this. Thanks."

A flashback came to me of Hayley and I sitting at the wall as she smoked a cigarette during the restless nights we shared.

"You know," I sighed. "I think about you every day. That's what actually brings me here, tonight. I miss you, babe. I wish you were still here." I finished the last bit of the cigarette and pressed the embers against the tree and sat next to her. Tears misted my eyes as more memories of Hayley came to mind. I wish she could hear me... if she did. I wish I could talk to her again, and hold her. I just wanted to love her again. I wanted to make her happy.

"Y'know, Hayles... I'll stay for you," I said, my voice breaking. "I'll stay until it's my time. The only reason I'll keep my heart beating, is for you." I looked at my watch as I felt myself grow tired. I yawned a little as I pushed myself off the tree. "I'll see you, sometime," I said, a tear spilling down my face. I quickly swiped at it and gave Hayley a weak smile. "Bye, my love."

The End