Chapter 18: There's a Time and a Place to Die

I paced the living room as I waited for Hayley to pick up her phone, calling for another countless time. It went to voice mail again, leaving me to make a message.

"Hayley," I huffed. "Babe, answer. I'm really worried about you. I want to talk things out with you. You left things really hazy. Just... call me, alright? Bye." I hung up and waited for my phone to ring with any notification from Hayley. I studied my phone, hoping she would at least text me. Hours soon passed and I got nothing from her. I picked up the phone again and dialed her number up. It toned for a while, still not having an answer. Just her voice mail.

"Hey, it's me again," I sighed. "I really want to talk to you. Can you please call me? Or... text me? Anything? I'll be by my phone, so contact me any time. Bye."

{One Week Later...}

I stared at the blank T.V, the screen off. I was staring into nothingness. I haven't heard from Hayley in over a week and I was still worried sick about her.

My phone finally did vibrate, lighting up with a notification. I looked at the screen, finding Hayley's name on there. I gasped as my heart rate quickened; I opened the text with shaky hands and read it:

Hey York :)

Yeah, I know I haven't answered you back or anything. I've just been... thinking. You know, I really am grateful for all you've done for me. I can't thank you enough. I won't thank you anymore. You see, I've tried to find my place here, this place called Earth. But I've told you many time, I don't fit in. Not here, not there... not anywhere. Yes, you have made me happy, don't get me wrong. It's just... not the happiness I was looking for. And everything comes with a price. Honestly, I never wanted you to see me so broken. You've seen it all; everything I am. And from what you saw, you can tell I'm pretty broken. Or at least was broken. I don't want you to suffer with picking up my shattered pieces, York. So, I decided that it's time to take this burden off your shoulders. I'm not needed here, York. But in honor of me-- in honor of yourself, stay strong. You're needed here. I'm sure you'll make a bigger difference than I ever could fathom. This will be my last message to you. So, my love (whoa, I've never called you that before), I just want to say that I love you. I always have and always will. I've just been fucked over by life way too many times. I'm done trying. But thank you so much for being there for me, Taylor York. Thank you for fighting for me. :')

I love you more than death, itself! <3

Hayley

I wiped at the tears that had fallen without warning and permission as I closed the message. I quickly called Hayley. She couldn't do this. She couldn't kill herself tonight.

"York," she rasped. Her voice was full of tears. "Hey."

"Whatever you're doing, stop it right now," I demanded.

"Taylor, love, I can't," she cried. "I can't live like this anymore. Promise you'll carry on."

"Hayley, I can't if you're gone! I need you here!" I had broke into sobs already. I didn't care. I couldn't afford to lose Hayley. "I need you here with me, please!"

"You're strong, Taylor York," she managed to say. "You can carry on without me, I'm sure."

"Hayley, no!"

"York, I have to go," she whimpered. "I love you so much. I really do, honey. Stay here for me."

"HAYLEY!" I was cut off by her hanging up. I shoved my phone in my pocket as I ran outside, grabbing my keys along the way. I had to get to Hayley as soon as possible. Before she was gone.