Chapter 16

Zachariah

I was unable to contain my excitement the moment Sara's father had given me the let go.

Amir had been discharged from the hospital for a while now, yet I still hadn't been able to see my partner not being able to neglect my duties as the current bodyguard for Sara.

I was finally on my way now though. There was no stopping me as I walked in with a huge smile plastered across my face and my arms held out wide.

I had spoken to Amir earlier on after I had found many missed calls from him earlier this morning. He had said he was almost completely healed and as my eyes roamed for him out of the 30 or so people in the room I had caught sight of him almost immediately sitting in a chair chewing on an apple.

"Yo!" I shout out with a hand in the air and Amir stands on his feet at the sound of my voice. We share a goofy smile.

The last time I had seen him had been so hectic that we couldn't even check up on each other but now we were both only 5 feet apart so I leap on him. "Looking good bro." I slap his back and he winces.

"Not so hard man." He says pulling away but I only smirk.

The day we had rescued Sara, Amir took a bullet to the side. He was lucky it hadn't done much damage to his inside. If it hadn't been for the bullet proof vests he would not have survived that second bullet.

"Look what I brought you." I say with a grin pulling out my gift as Amir eagerly waits. "As I had predicted, you look like crap bro so.." I take my time for effect as I hold my hands in my pocket longer than needed. "I got you something." I hand him a small red cylinder and he takes it not understanding what it is. "And it's your favourite flavour too. Cherry." I whisper.

He looks at it and realizes it was actually just a chapstick "Shut up. You're my partner. You were meant to get me something better than this crap." He says opening it up and taking a whiff of it.

"Did I mention its cherry flavour." I say hoping to encourage his gratitude towards my gift.

In my haste to see Amir I had taken the first thing I had seen on the shelf as I entered the shop. It was only until I got to my car I realised it was a chapstick. Since I could never decide on what gift to get I had made it a thing that I just pick the first thing I set eyes on.

I look to Amir expecting him to try it on but instead he just looks at me and suddenly shoves the cherry stick into my mouth.

"So hows the wife?" Amir walks back to his chair casually taking a chunk out of his apple.

I take the chapstick out of my mouth and discover I liked the taste of chapsticks.

"Hmm this actually tastes good." I say placing it upright on the table.

"You picked the first thing you saw again didn't you?" Amir accuses me but I don't say anything and stay silent only giving the truth away with a shrug of the shoulder.

"So how then do you actually pick gifts for your wife?" Amir raises the question.

I almost choke. I had never brought Sara a single gift and even if I were to she would probably bite my head off.

"Oh. Naa." I laugh. "We..we don't have that kind of relationship."

"What? What do you mean?" I think about it a while on how to answer Amirs questions and realize the actual reality of our relationship.

"To her I'm just some guy she has to live with for her own protection." I shrug.

I see Amir glances in my direction with deep thinking. He slowly bites his apple again and then carries on chewing.

"I see." Amir continues to nod his head. "I knew you would be a rubbish husband." He says honestly.

I couldn't argue with that, I did make her cry on the day of the Walima.

Amir and I had that kind of relationship where we could say the absolute truth to each other and not take it to heart. We were brothers for life-although not blood-and no one could take away the one most important person in my life. He was literally the only family I had left.

Amir twists in his seat and then with his left hand he tries aiming for the bin but instead it lands on Laras desk.

She turns with a furious frown glaring at Amir.

"Sorry again." Amir apologizes to Lara sheepishly but Lara shows a finger at Amir as her way of appreciation and then shows how to throw like a real pro landing what remained of the apple in the bin before getting back to her work. I laugh because It was nice to just be hanging with people who don't get mad for petty little things.

I imagine what Sara would do if I had done that to her and shudder.

"That's the third time that happened." Amir admits sheepishly to me.

"Out of practice?"

"Yeah but I'll be back on top form in no time." Amir promises.

"ZACH!" An authoritative voice booms from behind and I jump up immediately.

"John." I acknowledge taking in his boss like appearance.

"How's the wife?" He asks.

It seemed like that's the question everyone seemed to be curious about. I had been a laughing stock of the department when the news of me getting married had come out. No one trusted me to be a capable husband for some reason. I now I understood why after 2 weeks of being married.

A groan leaves my lips.

"I see." John says taking that as my response before walking away.

"It can't be that bad." Amir turns to me.

"It's the worst mission I could possibly get. I do nothing but sit and watch her read or pray or fix her hijab. I sleep on a couch that has no room for my legs and She wakes me up at 4 in the bloody morning for prayer."

Amirs face lights up. "Good man." Amir slaps me on the back."You started praying again?"

"Sort of." I shrug.

"That's not so bad. All that time I had thought you were more sinful than me but hey, now it seems like I'm the sinful one." Amir jokes.

"Thanks." I give him a dry and bitter look. If Amir were to actually see and get to know Sara he would surely realize just how sinful he really is.

"Lets hit the gym man. Its been a while." Amir grabs his jacket suddenly moving off.

Finally. I had been looking forward to our gym sessions. I follow Amir out and watch him 'accidentally' nudge Lara which actually brought a smile to my face. Amir continued to walk with an air of confidence as if he hadn't realized what his arm had just done.

I shake my head at the childishness of my 'adult' friends as I leave.

A/N
AssalamuAlaykum. I hope that each and everyone of you is in the best of health In Shaa Allah.

Guys if you don't already know..I usually post any updates or important informations on my message board.

So if in the future I am MIA for some reason then I will most probably leave a message on my message board.

That's all.

Peace x