Chapter 17

Sara

The sour taste of bile inturrupts my sense again making my every other sense weaken.

I was back in the darkness with only the echo of by breath for company.

I wasn't even sure if my hands and leg were still a part of me. It sure felt like they were either removed or just so very numb due to the the icy-like chill in the room. Even swallowing was seeming to get harder each time I needed to.

And then I hear the voices that I dread to hear. They were coming. Again. I hear a strangled cry and then the door swings open before a boy is pushed inside with force that he trips over his own foot and comes crashing down. The door is quickly shut closed again and I remain silent.

I was hungry and cold and according to my rough estimate I had been kept in this room for about aproximately 10 hours.

I just wanted to go home.

The boy moves and I freeze. "Sara?" The other voice in the room croaks. He was pretty badly injured and although I couldn't see him I could hear the pain through his breathing.

I wasn't sure if to respond or not. What if I puke my guts out again? I wasn't ready for anything right now. Not even to talk to a stranger on how to escape.

"Sara? Is that you?" He says again only this time his voice is a little familiar. A little too familiar.

"Ismail?" I manage to find my voice. My eyes run wild in the dark trying to locate him.

I hear a sign of relief from him and then I rush to his side when he curls up in pain.

"Ismail? Is that really you?" I feel around for him and manage to come into contact with his fingers. He grasps hold of my hand as soon as I make contact as tight as he could. I know instantly that was my brother. "Are you hurt?" I ask. He seemed to be breathing rather heavily and unable to move.

"Got whacked like a pinata. One of them hits like a girl."

Even in his horrid situation I could hear the humor in his voice. He was looking up at me through all the darkness and I too was trying to fight the darkness to get just one glimpse of him.

My tears flow out and I let them and luckily I don't have to hide them since we were sitting in complete darkness.

"How can you be joking right now?"I hit him gently, unable to force a laugh.

"Ow..Careful." He winces and I immediately retreat back a little realizing something wet on my finger tips.

"Your bleeding." I say bringing my fingers to my nose. Suddenly the intensity of the situation seems to be much deeper than a moment ago.

He had been already injured from earlier.

"Yeah I know. I think they broke my rib cage." Ismail tries to move but he only ends up wincing and breathing much harder than the last.

"What do they want?" I ask in a hushed whisper.

"Something that they can't have."

"And what does this have to with us?"

"Everything."

What! This just made no sense. I was ambushed back at home and now I am being locked up in a dark place where I can't even see my own finger tips.

"Ismail I don't understand."

"It's better that you don't."

"I think I deserve to know since I am moments away from death."