Chapter 44

Sara

After praying Maghrib I praised and thanked Allah non stop and felt a huge sense of relief as to how things had wrapped up. That bit of fear gnawing at me for the last few months had finally started to die down and I hoped eventually I could go back to having a normal life without being scared of being attacked or kidnapped by a phycho.

Of course the police had to get involved and one man had sacrificed his life which I had no way of thanking him.

I prayed that Amir found peace with Allah and that his act of saving both Zach and I would receive a huge reward from Him.

After all saving one life is like saving the whole of humanity.

I prayed and made Dua for almost an hour and decided that even if I spent my whole life thanking Allah it would still not be enough.

Eventually after the chaos had died down. Nick and his men were found trying to escape through the back and father was checked upon by the medics as was I. Everyone had gone back to their departments busy with the arrests and father resorted to his library after making sure to ask if I was okay a hundred and one times, so I reassured him a hundred and two times and went in search around the house for everyone else. Nancy had just arrived to cook us dinner and the more I searched the more it became clear to me.

I had not seen Zach after he had taken me to safety. The last I remember was the look on his face when he saw his friend who was more like a brother being shot square in the chest. It wasn't like him to just leave and be away from me but then again he had no reason to stay with me 24/7 now. I wasn't in danger anymore and he no longer needed to protect me.

When I finally sat down and pondered over a life without Zach, I just couldn't imagine it, or rather I just couldn't handle it. Being away from Zach scared me and the more I thought about it the more I feared he had just left, and to him it was just a job after all.

I picked up my new phone and looked down to see no missed calls, nor any replies from Zach. There were a dozen from others but none from Zach which made my heart sink. Did he not care to even say goodbye to me? We could have at least had one more fight.

I read all the messages from everyone but I just didn't feel in the mood to reply to anyone just yet.

Why hadn't Zach come to say he was leaving?

I know we were both forced into this marriage and we both managed to make it work by convincing ourselves in our own ways of why we were doing it, but for the last few days I had began to think we were actually getting somewhere with our relationship and it felt so real. But to think Zach only took this as his job hurt more than I had wanted it to. And the fact that he had left meant he no longer wanted to carry on our relationship. He should have at least cleared things up before he left.

I grab my phone and search finally coming to a halt in front of Zacharia's name. I had even changed his name to 'Hubby' only recently on my old phone. Feeling slightly nervous I hovered above the the dial button but before I could hit dial my phone started to ring.

Unknown number again. I gulped before answering.

"Hello?" I asked the unknown number.

"Hi this is John, Zachs Team leader. How are you doing?"

"I'm very well thank you."

"I'm pleased to hear." I hear John clear his throat on his end and almost could imagine him fixing his tie as he speaks. "I am actually calling regarding Zacharia. You're father gave me this number to speak to you if that is okay with you?"

"Yes. Yes that's fine. What about Zach?"

"Well he was meant to contact me as soon as this whole operation blew over but he didn't so I gathered he must be with you."