Chapter 14

Ryan's POV

Tyler suggested a couple of weeks later that we had another one on one game. I quickly agreed because it would be a lot of and we agreed to play on of the afternoons that he didn't have training. I met him outside the gym before following him inside.

By the time I had dumped my stuff he had grabbed a ball and was waiting for me on the court.

"Are we playing the same way as last time?" he asked.

I nodded and as soon as I had nodded he took off and the game had started. We played a lot longer than we did last time. I had managed to pull away a bit from Tyler, especially since he was beginning to tire.

In the end he just collapsed on the court and that was the end of the game.

"How are you still standing?" he moaned.

"I might not play as much basketball as you but I still keep myself in good shape," I explained.

"You have to show me sometime because I'm dying on the floor here," he complained.

I nodded before joining him on the floor. For a few minutes we just lay there together on the ground as we both got our breathing under control.

"We should do this more often," Tyler said between gasps.

"If you get your maths work done," I teased.

He scowled at me but didn't have the energy to do anything else. After a couple more minutes I picked myself back off the floor before offering Tyler a hand which he took.

"Do you want to spend some time doing some stat stuff?" I asked.

"After I change," he nodded.

"Yeah, I don't think anyone will appreciate you smelling like that," I mocked.

He threw a fake punch at that I managed to dodge and was laughing as I trailed after him into the locker room. We both showered and changed quickly before heading towards the library. Since we were later than usual it was quieter and we could take pretty much whatever table we wanted.

I grabbed my laptop back out and opened up my latest page of notes that I had been working on. Tyler moved the chair closer to me so that he could see my screen as well. Slowly we started to talk about what I had written.

I knew that we should probably spend a bit of time going over his maths work but we were both more interested in the basketball stats so I didn't say anything. Once again we were working until the library shut but it wasn't as long since we had been in the gym.

"I train every Saturday if you want to join me," I offered as we headed out together.

"Really?"

"Yeah, there are a few of us that meet up at the park on Saturday mornings. I'll text you the details later," I continued.

"Thank you," he smiled.

I told him a little more about it as we walked and I was hopeful that he would be joining us next time if he was able to.

"So, maybe I will be able to beat you next time," he teased.

"Is that so?" I said, raising an eyebrow.

"Of course."

"You don't know what I still have up my sleeve."

He didn't get a chance to say anything else because we arrived at my house and I had to head inside. We said goodbye to each other and he walked away from me as I headed inside.

The house was quiet since Mom and Dad were out and Jamie had gone back to Duke two weeks ago. Mom had made lasagne for me so I stuck it in the oven before sitting down and reaching for my phone.

I called Jordan because I wanted someone to talk to to break the silence and I knew that he would answer. True to form he answered after two rings and I stretched my feet out onto the bench.

"You didn't join us in the library today," he moaned.

"I had better things to do then hang out with you," I teased.

'Ry, don't be so mean," he complained.

I laughed at him before standing up again to check on my food.

"What were you doing?"

"I was playing a one on one game with Tyler," I told him.

"How was it?"

"It was really fun. I haven't played much recently so it was nice."

We talked about it a bit more about it as I finished heating up food and settled back in my seat. I then listened to Jordan talk about his day and some stupid thing that one of the girls in one of his classes had done.

I continued to eat and listened to Jordan to talk for over an hour. I had moved up into my bedroom and started on some of my work. My phone was sitting on the table and I would respond to Jordan when needed but I mostly just hummed.

"Are you going to come to the library with us tomorrow afternoon?" he asked.

"I assume so. I don't have any plans," I said.

"Is Tyler going to be joining us?"

"I don't know, I haven't asked him. How come?"

"I was just wondering because you have been spending a lot of time with him."

I hummed softly and I could tell that there was something else that he was going to say so I let him.

"I like Tyler a lot but you know that I'm just looking out for you. You know that, right?"

"Of course, I trust Tyler. I think that he is a good guy. I am glad to have a friend like you looking out for me."

We talked for a bit longer but the conversation had moved away from Tyler before Jordan hung up on me. I couldn't be bothered finishing my work since it wasn't due for a couple of days. Instead I headed to bed and curled up under the covers.

Jordan had mentioned a couple of times that I had been spending a lot of time with Tyler and I knew that he was just looking out for me. I'd had the same, small group of friends for years and it had been a long time before I let someone else in.

I wasn't lying to Jordan. I did trust Tyler because we had been spending a lot of time together and he always seemed really nice. I was just hoping that it wouldn't come back to hurt me.

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One