Chapter 56

Ryan's POV

The nervous energy was clear around the team and it was still there as the team started to warm up. I sat on the bench and waited for the game to start. Oregon was a very good team, clearly since they had made the final, but UCLA had been playing well.

At last the game started and neither team could get away from the other. By the time the first quarter came to an end I had a few things to tell the team so I stood up and joined the huddle. I waited for Coach to say this own thing before I added my own opinion.

"They don't have a whole heap of great defenders and they are trying to match up their top defenders with Luke and Tyler so try and run plays that stop that," I started.

I had a couple of other things to add before the players were called onto the court. I then sat back down on the bench to watch the game. I couldn't help but notice that Tyler was limping slightly between plays and I knew that his ankle was bothering him more than he let on.

The game was still tight going into halftime but the team was pumped and sure that they could pull ahead and win. The third quarter was much the same and when the fourth quarter started the two teams were tied up.

I was started to get nervous as the seconds ticked down and Oregon always seemed to just be one point ahead and they couldn't seemed to gain a lead. There was now ten seconds left and Oregon was still up by one.

Oregon was trying absolutely everything to stop UCLA from getting an easy shot for the win. The crowd was counting down the seconds and Tyler realised that he wasn't going to be getting a closer shot so with a second left he put up the shot.

The whole arena was silent as the clock expired and the ball rolled around the rim once before dropping in. The whole bench leapt to their feet and ran onto the court and swamped Tyler. I stood on the side lines with a stupid smile on my face.

I watched all the players hug each other before Jackson came over to me and dragged me into the group.

"You are part of the team too," he smiled.

I nodded and let myself be swamped by people. It didn't take long for Tyler to reach me, even in the crowd of people, and he wrapped his arms around me tightly.

"Thank you," he said softly.

"Hey, that was all you," I told him.

"But I wouldn't be here without you."

We didn't get a chance to talk much more as everyone wanted to talk to Tyler and I knew that I could talk to him later. I got hugged by almost everyone on the team before we slowly made it into the locker room.

It was still loud and everyone was yelling and still really excited. I sat down on the bench and watched everyone else slowly change. Coach came in and the room slowly became quiet.

"That was amazing guys but the NCAA tournament starts in three days so we are going to go straight from here to Tennessee. We are going to be heading out tomorrow morning so celebrate tonight. Well done," he said.

We all cheered once more before some of the team got called out to do media. Tyler was one of them as he won tournament MVP. I spent the time on my laptop going through my notes for the game to pass the time.

At last we were boarding and bus and there was talk about celebrating in someone's room but the general consensus was that everyone was too tired and just wanted to go to bed as this point. Tyler was pretty much asleep beside me and when we got off the bus he wrapped an arm around me so that he could stay upright.

He was like an octopus clinging to me and it took me three goes to manage to unlock our room.

"Do you want an icepack?" I asked as he collapsed on the bed.

He nodded and I grabbed the one that he used previously. I placed it on his ankle and he hissed slightly as I moved it. I did my own thing before joining him bed. I glanced over at Tyler and I noticed he had already fallen asleep.

I knew that it was exhausted after the game so I wasn't surprised that he was asleep. I then realised that I was just as exhausted and I fell asleep beside him.

When I woke the next morning Tyler was already awake but he was still beside me. When he smiled when he noticed that I was awake.

"Morning," I mumbled.

"Morning," he smiled.

We didn't have to get up for at least another hour so we stayed together in bed.

"I've been thinking that no matter what happens at the tournament I think that I'm going to declare for the NBA," he said softly.

"I think that you are right. Two of my brothers only did one year of college and the other did two so I agree with you," I said.

He smiled more and I think that he was glad that I agreed with him.

"The other thing that I've been thinking about it is about our relationship. I think that no matter where I go next season I want to be with you again. I've realised that I miss you and I want to get back together," he rushed.

My eyes widen, "Are you sure?"

He nodded. I then rolled over so that I was on top of him. I pressed a kiss to his lips and I could feel him smile.

"I'd like that a lot," I said.

"I can't promise that I will be anywhere close next year but I think that I would regret it if we didn't try," he said.

At this point I didn't care anymore and told him so. He wrapped his arms around me and I rested my head on his chest.

"Someone is going to ask questions about us. We haven't really been secretive," I said.

"I know and I've thought about it and decided that I don't care."

"Are you sure? People are going to be rude about it."

"Yes. People are going to be rude no matter when I come out so I might as well do it from the beginning," he said honestly.

I didn't mind because it was mostly going to be him dealing with it anyway but it would be nice not to worry about it. We settled into silence for a few minutes but I could tell that he still had something on his mind.

"I'm nervous about the NCAA tournament though. We haven't lost yet so everyone wants to beat us and there is a lot of pressure on us as well," he whispered.

"You guys will be amazing," I assured him.

He nodded and we then had to get up and get ready to leave. Neither of us had really unpacked so it wasn't hard to pack up and soon after we grabbed our bags and we were heading out of the room for the last time.

"On to Memphis," he smiled.

I nodded and we were leaving for the next tournament.

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One