Chapter 27

Ryan's POV

I didn't end up talking to my parents over the break because I could never find the courage to say anything. I couldn't believe what they had said and I was admitting to myself that I was waiting until I found if I got accepted or not.

We said goodbye to Jason at the airport and it didn't seem like a long flight home and as soon as I got home I headed back out again to go see Tyler. He told me that he was home at the moment and I wanted to see him before school tomorrow.

It wasn't a long walk and when I knocked on the door Mrs Matthews opened it with a bright smile.

"Ryan, it's really good to see you," she smiled.

"You too, Mrs Matthews," I told her.

"It's Penny and you know that. Tyler is in his room," she said.

I nodded and headed into the house. As she said Tyler was waiting for me, stretched out on his bed.

"Merry very late Christmas," I said.

"Merry very late Christmas to you too," he echoed.

I joined him on the bed before grabbing his present as he grabbed mine. We exchanged presents and I slowly opened the wrapping paper. Inside I found book about the history of stats in professional sports and some chocolate that I liked.

In turn I had given him a shirt that he wanted, a book about NBA players and as a joke a math textbook which he threw at me.

"Thank you," I smiled.

He thanked me as well as I wrapped him in a tight hug. We moved slightly so that we were lying down on the bed rather than sitting up. Tyler was pressed up against my back as we talked and it was easy.

We both talked about what we had done over the break and how our families were. I then remember that I hadn't told him that I add applied for UCLA.

"Ry, that's so cool. Do you know when you might get a letter back?" he asked.

"They didn't say," I said but I suddenly remember what my family had thought about it.

"What's the matter?" Tyler asked.

I didn't say anything for a minute because I wasn't sure what to tell him.

"I know that something's wrong because you have gone tense so don't tell me its fine," Tyler said.

"It's just I overheard a conversation between my family and they weren't pleased with my plan but they didn't tell me," I admitted.

Tyler didn't say anything for a minute. I wasn't sure what he was thinking but when he rolled me over it was very clear that he was furious.

"You shouldn't have to listen to bullshit like that. I think that it is perfect for you," he told me.

"But what if they are right? They've known me the longest," I admitted.

"It doesn't mean that they know what you are or aren't going to like for the rest of your life."

I nodded and he pressed my head against him. His hand rubbed up and down on my back as I made sure that my breathing stayed even.

"I'm sorry for freaking out," I apologised.

"Hey, you don't have to be sorry for that," he told me.

We continued to lie there in silence. Tyler's hand still continued to comfort me. After a few minutes Tyler just started to talk and I was grateful because he knew that having someone talk to me made it easier. I didn't add anything to the conversation, just listened.

I lost track of time as we lay there and I didn't notice how late it was getting until Penny came in and smiled at us.

"Look at you two. You look adorable," she cooed.

"Moooommm," Tyler complained.

"Anyway, Ryan do you want to stay for dinner?" she asked.

"Do you mind?"

"Of course not dear."

I ended up agreeing to stay for dinner but it took Tyler and I quite a few minutes to actually get up and make it into the lounge. His sister was already at the table and was waiting for us.

"How was your Christmas?" I asked.

I listened to her talk about everything that she got and how great it was. Tyler settled into the seat next to me and handed me a plate of food that looked really good. The whole dinner was easy. The conversation flowed nicely.

Once we had both finished eating Tyler had grabbed my head under the table and I had moved my chair closer so that we were closer together. I was sad when I realised that I should head home. I said goodbye to all of them but Tyler insisted on walking me out.

"I'll see you tomorrow," I said softly.

"Yeah, it was good to see you," he said.

I nodded and instead of hugging him goodbye like I usual do I pressed my lips against his. I could feel him smiling against my lips and wrapped an arm around me. Eventually we broken apart and I rested my head on his shoulder.

"I really should be going," I muttered.

"We'll see each other tomorrow," he told me.

We both knew that but it took us another minute to actually break apart and for me to head out. it wasn't a long walk but it was cold and I was regretting not grabbing a jacket. Once I got home I headed straight upstairs and collapsed on the bed.

I still had a smile on my face from kissing Tyler and after the afternoon that we had had it was easy to smile. I thought about calling Jordan because we hadn't talked for a couple of days but I couldn't be bothered.

I grabbed my laptop and out of habit I refreshed my emails a couple of times. I didn't know what I was expecting to receive because I knew that any college stuff was going to be sent to me but I didn't it out of habit.

I was nervous about what I was going get and what my parents were going to say but as Tyler told me there was no point worrying about it yet. I had to calm down and wait and see but it was harder than I expected.

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One