Chapter 42

Ryan's POV

I got really busy just before Thanksgiving. I was planning on going home over the holiday break for a couple of days to see my family and friends who were also coming back but right now I don't think that it is going to be possible.

I've been swamped with work and still having to balance it with the commitment to the basketball team. It was currently eight at night and I was still in the library with Alex. We had a major Stats report due in a couple of days and we both still had a lot of work to get done.

I had headphones in to block out any other noises and focused on my work. Both of us ended up staying in the library until almost midnight. The only reason that I left at that time was because I had an early morning class and I needed to get some sleep.

Alex decided to head out as well and I said goodbye to him before heading up to my dorm room. I unlocked it to find Tyler curled up in bed, asleep. I moved around as quietly as I could to change and get ready for bed.

I wanted to curl up beside Tyler but it was late and I knew that I would wake him so instead I collapsed on my own bed.

I groaned when my alarm when off the next morning but I quickly shut it off when I saw that Tyler wasn't awake yet. I was pretty sure that Tyler had a later class so I didn't want to wake him if he didn't need to be.

Once again I moved around the dorm room quietly, grabbed a couple pieces of fruit before heading out and locking the door behind me.

I spent the whole day either in class or working on my assignments. After my last class I was exhausted from not having a lot of sleep last night and how much work I had done but I still needed to get more done.

With Thanksgiving a couple of days away I was seriously thinking of cancelling my trip. The basketball team had the time off as well and so Tyler was going to go as well but I don't know whether I will be able to.

I'd pretty much lose a day to travelling and then it there would be Thanksgiving and seeing my friends so I wouldn't actually get much work done and I would still have a lot to do.

I glanced up from my work when I was sitting in the library and realised that I wasn't going to be able to go home. I had too much to do. I grabbed my phone off the desk and headed outside to call my Mom.

I found a seat just outside and sat there for a second before working up the courage to call Mom. I was half hoping that she wouldn't answer but I knew that the later than I left it the more upset she would be so in some ways I was glad that she answered.

"Ryan, it's good to hear from you," she said.

"Yeah, it feels like we keep missing each other's calls," I smiled.

"How come you are calling?" she asked.

"It's about Thanksgiving," I started.

"Are you changing you plans?"

"It's more that I'm not going to be coming at all," I admitted quickly.

"How come?"

"It's just that I have so much work that I need to get done and I don't have a lot time to get all done," I explained.

"It's fine Ryan."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, of course, your college work is so much more important. I'll talk to you later," Mom said.

Once she hung up I headed back inside because I needed to get work done. I was upset that I didn't get home but Winter Break wasn't too far away and I wouldn't have as much work due around then and be able to relax without worrying about doing work.

I settled back down and started to work again. I was trying to get a lot of work done because there was a basketball game tomorrow which meant that I would have to be there and it would take up most of my evening.

Alex headed out earlier than I did. He was exhausted from staying up late last night and we had another early morning class tomorrow. Ideally I would be heading home as well but I needed to keep working.

Once again when I got back to the dorm it was late and Tyler was already in bed and asleep. I dumped my textbooks on the floor before heading into the bathroom. I quickly got myself organised and once again I slipped into my own bed so that I didn't wake Tyler again.

The next morning when I woke Tyler was already awake and on his phone. When he noticed me awake he dropped his phone.

"How come you are sleeping over there?" he asked.

"I came in really late and didn't want to wake you," I told him.

He nodded and continued to lie there as I got up and started to get organised for the day. I grabbed my textbooks and shoved them into my bag.

"Do you want breakfast?" Tyler asked as he climbed out of bed.

"No, I've got to get to class and start getting work done," I said.

I think that he was going to say something but he shut his mouth again as I leant over and kissed him goodbye before heading out of the dorm. Alex was already in class and had a few books spread out on his desk.

"Did you get much more work done last night?" he asked.

"I bit more but fuck I still have so much," I complained.

"Shit me too. I didn't think that it would be this hard," he said.

Our professor just started talking and we all rushed to start writing notes. I already had so many notebooks of notes and I was slowly typing them up so I didn't have to keep them all around in the dorm room.

The day was very similar to the last two in the fact that I was working all through the day. I was glad that the basketball game was here because it meant that I could leave later. I joined the basketball team and took my usual seat at the end of the bench.

The team had been going well and were yet to lose a game and I thought that this was their best one yet. I think that I offered some good advice and they used it well.

"Ryan, do you want to come out with us?" Luke asked.

"No, I've got work to do. I'll see you later," I told Tyler before kissing him.

I think that once again he was going to say something and stopped again.

"Yeah," he said.

I headed back to the library and prepared myself for another evening of hard work.

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One