Chapter 33

Ryan's POV

I was still slightly surprised when James followed Tyler into the library after their training. It was later than usual since their State Champs are next week and their Coach is working them harder. Drew moved around slightly so that we could fit two extra chairs at the table.

"How was training?" I asked the pair.

"Exhausting," Tyler moaned.

I felt slightly bad for laughing but not enough to stop. Tyler scowled at me but I wrapped an arm around him and he stopped.

"Have you guys got much work done yet?" he asked.

I shrugged and both guys reached into their respective bags and grabbed their own work out. I noticed that Tyler had pulled out his math work out.

"Do you want help?" I asked.

"A little bit please," he smiled.

I nodded and moved my own book away so that I could look at his. It took me a minute to realise what he was doing and then I could explain it to Tyler. He seemed to understand it pretty quickly and then I could return to my own work as he worked though the exercises.

Every once in a while I would glance up at James and every time that I looked his head was ducked over his own textbook. Tyler got me to check his answers but for the best part of an hour we worked in silence.

After that the librarian kicked us out so that she could shut it up and we headed out into the parking lot and stood there for a while.

"I wish that you could come to States with us," Tyler complained.

"I know but there is no way that your Coach would agree to that," I scowled.

"What do you mean?" James asked.

"Ry does stats on all our games and it's so useful," Tyler explained.

"How's a bunch of random numbers useful for a basketball game?" James asked.

I just laughed at that because that is what everyone thinks that doesn't understand. Tyler laughed softly as well before wrapping an arm around me.

"So Ryan, what can you tell me about James' style of play?" he mockingly asked.

"A lot of the shots that he takes and gets are because the player guarding him have had to go off him and guard someone else and this accounts for about a quarter of his shots. His free throw shooting is average at best and about 85% of the ones that he misses are short. He takes way more three point shots than he should because his average is about 20%."

James stared at me and I continued to talk about his game.

"The best way to defend him is to push him backwards and make take longer shots because he likes to take them but doesn't get a lot of them. He isn't a great defender and in most games will allow more points than he gets. I think you are beginning to see my point," I smirked.

James was still staring at me and Tyler laughed more.

"And that's not all," Tyler smiled.

"Does Coach know about this?" James asked.

"Yeah but like most people he doesn't realise how much stats can help," I sneered.

He frowned slightly but didn't say anything else on the subject so we started talking about other things. Tyler had invited me around for dinner since his Mom wanted to meet me again so we headed in the direction of his house.