Chapter 35

Ryan's POV

I woke to a flat phone lying beside me and light streaming through my curtains. I glanced at the time and groaned when I realised that I had to get out of bed. I silently hoped that no one would be awake when I made it downstairs but it wasn't granted. Luckily it was only Jamie.

We moved around each other in silence. Neither of us wanting to talk to the other after last night.

"I think that you are right," Jamie said softly.

"About what?"

"What you want to do for college," he explained.

"Then how come you didn't say anything?" I asked.

"Between our brothers and parents they all pressured me and, fuck, I can't even tell them that I don't like the classes that I was doing because they picked them and I find them so boring and I've changed my major to sports psychology," he admitted quickly.

I stood there for a minute. Obviously all three of my brothers were more focused on sport at high school but Jason and Dan both completed business degrees and that was what Jamie had started.

"How come you haven't said anything?" I asked.

"Because every time I try to Dad or Mom says something about how they would love all four of us to eventually help in the business and I couldn't find it in me to say anything. That's why they are pushing you to not do what you want to because they want you to work in the business," Jamie explained.

I continued to move again and for a moment neither of us said anymore.

"How did you get into it?" I asked.

"I was complaining about how boring my class and one of my teammates was mentioning that his were a lot of fun and I looked at what he was doing and I liked it a lot more," he said.

We both sat down at the table and continued to talk about it since none of the rest of our family was awake.

"Mom and Dad want what they think is best and don't realise that there is more than just business degrees. So you do what you want," he told me.

"Thanks," I whispered.

Before I headed out I wrapped him in a tight hug and we stood like that for a minute.

"We'll all in town for a couple of days but after that call me if you need someone to talk to," he said.

I nodded before I had to head out. Now that I had a bit of charge on my phone I noticed that I had a couple of texts from Tyler asking if I was alright. I told him that I would be and we could talk more about it when he got back and we could do it in person.

All three of my friends were waiting for me outside my locker and I'm pretty sure that they already knew that it didn't go particularly well.

"How bad was it?" Morgan asked.

"It ended with me telling them that I was going to go no matter what they said. I don't think that anyone was very impressed. Except Jamie because we had a heart to heart this morning," I said.

Jordan wrapped an arm around me as we stood there. Drew started talking about other things and I stood there listening, without adding anything to the conversation. I knew that today wasn't going to be the best day so I had to push through it. Ideally I would be able to curl up on the couch with Tyler and the rest of my friends but I can't.

Instead the bell rang and I had to push through my classes. Nothing seemed to interest me all day and my classes seemed boring. I was really pleased when at the end of the day Tyler called me so I left my friends inside the library and sat down in the hallway.

"How was your day?" I asked, pulling my knees to my chest.

I stayed like that as he talked about their games and how they were now through to the final tonight.

"How are you?" he asked.

"You know, not so great but I will be," I said softly.

"Shit, Ry, I wish that I could be there," he said.

"Just win for me instead," I told him.

He hummed on the other end and we talked about other things. I could hear people calling Tyler's name on the other end of the phone so I told him to go and we could talk after his game tonight. Even after we hung up I continued to sit there.

I rested my head back against the locker before closing my eyes. I didn't hear the footsteps approaching me so I jumped when someone rested their hand on my shoulder. I opened to my eyes to see all three of my friends standing there.

"We are all going out for ice cream and you are coming," Jordan ordered.

"What about studying?" I asked.

"Tomorrow, today we get ice cream," Drew said plainly.

I didn't bothering asking for a better explanation that that. Jordan had grabbed my bag from inside the library so I stood up and headed out with them. I listened to Drew and Morgan argue about something that had happened in one of their classes.

I felt myself relax after we all ordered and settled in one of the booths. I still didn't say much but listening to my friends talk relaxed me. In some ways I wanted to grab my books out and start studying because I feel like I should do some but I knew that my friends wouldn't be pleased so I didn't.

Jordan made sure to keep me involved in the conversation and we stayed much longer than it took to eat ice cream. I glanced at my phone a couple of times because I knew that Tyler's game had started. I hadn't managed to find anywhere that reliably put the scores so I just had to wait for a text from Tyler.

"Do you want to come home with me for dinner?" Jordan offered.

"Nah, I shouldn't avoid it much longer," I said.

All three of my friends nodded. I headed out with them and it wasn't long until I got home. When I opened the door I found them all standing in the lounge. Jamie was glaring at Dad and I could guess what the conversation was been.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Jamie here is just telling us that he has changed his major to something completely different," Dad snapped.

"I don't see what the big deal is," I said plainly.

Jamie smiled at me and I moved so that I was standing closer to him.

"Of course you don't because you can't see the future. You are only worried about your boyfriend," Dad retorted.

"Fuck you"

I wasn't hanging around any longer after that so I headed straight upstairs and slammed my door shut. I wished that I could call Tyler but I knew that he would be in the middle of a game. I was surprised when someone knocked my door and Jamie slowly walked in.

"I've got some dinner for you if you want it," he said.

I nodded so he handed me the plate before sitting beside me.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

I shook my head slightly and he wrapped an arm around me.

"Dad was completely out of line. I'm sorry," he said.

"It's not your fault."

Neither of us said anything more and we sat there in silence as I ate and wished that our parents would stop. I love my parents and usually they are really supportive and lovely but Dad seems so stuck on this idea and won't let it go. I just want it to stop.

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One