Chapter 2

Cal shares a dark look with his brother, then turns on his heel and heads back to the door

"I need to go find Crystal," he throws a sharp look over his shoulder. "You two, behave yourselves."

We watch in silence a moment as Cal strides out of the room.

"And on that bombshell...he leaves us..." says Cupid, a touch of amusement in his tone.

Someone is targeting cupids?

The thought makes my blood run cold. I have friends that are cupids – Charlie, Crystal, Cal, Cupid.

"Should we follow him?" I say. "Find out what's going on?"

I look up at Cupid. He wafts his hand dismissively.

"Nah. It's Matchmaking Service business," he puts on a funny voice that is clearly meant to be an imitation of Cal, "And I'd rather spend my time with you, anyway."

Cupid puts his hands on my bare arms and pulls me around to look at him. He looks into my eyes, the flecks of green dancing within them. He smiles.

"Aw, look at you – you're worried about me, aren't you?"

"If someone's targeting cupids, shouldn't you be worrying too?"

He shrugs.

"The Matchmaking Service has been around for centuries. There's always some kind of trouble going on," a pensive look flickers across his face, "Come to think of it – most often it's caused by me..." I raise my eyebrows at him, "Seriously, don't worry about it. I'm sure they have it under control. Plus..."His grin widens. "I don't know if you've noticed, but I am pretty badass." he wiggles his eyebrows.

I let out an audible groan and slap him playfully on the arm - feeling the hardness of his muscles beneath my fingers.

"A pain in the ass, more like..." I say, the corner of my lip quirking upwards.

He laughs, then brings his hand up to my face and softly strokes my cheek with his thumb. His face falls serious. He looks down into my eyes as he looms over me. I feel small in comparison to him. His body heat engulfs me.

"Do you realise, we've hardly spent any time together since, well..." he says.

"The time we accidentally brought your mother back and she tried to kill us?"

He gives me a sheepish look.

"Not the best 'meet the parents' scenario ever, was it?"

I give him a smile. Slowly he moves his other hand to my waist, circling the cotton of my top with his thumb. It distracts me, my skin on fire beneath his touch. My breathing quickens.

"I...uh...We've had our training sessions..." I say.

His eyes burn into mine.

"You know what I mean...we've not had any proper alone time. Just you and me, no weapons, no interruptions."