Chapter 32

Together we stand. I look at my undrunk coffee in dismay, placing it on a small glass coffee table between the sofas. Then we walk across the reception area to Cassie and the elevator. There's a feeling of impending doom in the air. It takes me back to that moment in the Cupids Matchmaking Service, when Cal and I had to wait to be taken to the Founder.

Venus will see you now...

The words echo in my mind. I think it was Venus's PA, Charles who said it. And now he is missing, probably dead, just like all those other cupids; just like the cupids that have just been found at Elysium.

Coldness seeps through my body, and it has nothing to do with the air conditioning. I pull my brown leather jacket closer to my body. Cupid is looking straight ahead, his jawline hard, but Cal notices. He looks at me, and – though it looks like it pains him somewhat – he flashes me what he clearly thinks is a reassuring smile. It ends up looking more like a grimace, but I suppose the thought is there.

I force a smile back and he hurriedly averts his gaze back to Cupid striding ahead.

As we catch up with him, Cassie herds us through the open door of the elevator and pushes a button.

"Office at the end," she says. Her brown eyes focus on me, twinkling brightly, "Be careful. The floor's just been washed and it's a little slippery, so you know, mind your step." She gives me a wink, pushes a button, then steps back out into the reception.

Great. I'm going to fall on my ass, aren't I?!

As the metal doors begin to slide shut she looks at us pensively.

"I'm sure there was something I was meant to tell you..." she says.

Cupid raises an eyebrow.

She shakes her head and grins.

"Nope, lost it."

A look of alarm crosses Cal's face, and, l can tell I'm probably thinking the same as him; If she can see into the future then what if she has something important to tell us?!

The doors are almost completely closer before her arm jolts out between the doors to stop them from closing completely.

"Oh, got it! Third door on the left. It's where they keep confiscated weapons. You know, just in case you need them," she winks again then steps back, allowing the doors to slide shut.

Cal's face darkens. He scowls as the elevator starts to climb.

"Well that's just great. We're going to get attacked, aren't we?!"

"Looks like it, brother..." agrees Cupid – seemingly unperturbed – as he leans against the mirrored wall.

Attacked?!

The nauseated feeling in my gut grows. I think back to the girl with the shears. Despite the fact I've been training, and despite the fact that I'm here with the two original cupids, I still don't really fancy my chances against her. She seemed to radiate death itself.