Chapter 56

The next few days pass by and I'm no closer to deciphering where Valentine has hidden the hearts. I've barely slept. I can't focus in class. And my dad has made a number of comments on my mood swings when I've been at home.

I can't help it. My throat feels tight, I keep getting headaches, and my pulse frequently races sending adrenaline coursing through my veins. I feel the weight of Valentine crushing down on my chest. I need to work out where the hearts are.

Cal's life depends on it.

And - if Cassie's prophecy is true – the situation is even worse than we thought.

Someone will help Valentine escape.

There will be a battle by water.

Not all will survive.

My mind can't stop reeling over it. Especially the last part.

Not all will survive.

The cupids have tightened their security at the Matchmaking Service, deciding to take this particular prophecy of Cassie's seriously. But even so – what if that's not enough? And who is going to try and help Valentine escape?

To make things worse, while I'm worrying about all this – heart shaped candy, and love notes have started to appear in classes and left in people's lockers, and the local shops seem to be selling nothing but crass Valentine's Day memorabilia.

On Monday we stop at the shop to buy some cokes before heading to the Matchmaking Service after school.

"It's bad enough having to see these stupid cards every year," says Cupid – picking up a card with a winged baby on the front. "Without knowing they're being used to give my evil brother even more power..."

"I take it if we survive this...I won't ever be getting a gift on Valentine's Day..." I say.

A grin widens on his face.

"You already have one of the original cupids," he says. "That not enough?"

"I suppose..." I say – a smile tugging at my lip.

I realize it's probably the first time I've smiled in days – but then I remember that Valentine wants to kill us, he might escape, and Venus could return. The weight comes crashing back down on my chest.

On Tuesday evening after school, Charlie, Cupid, Cal, and I sit solemnly around one of the high tables at the Love Shack. Valentine's Day is on Friday. We're seriously running out of time.

Cal is seriously running out of time.

It's taking its toll on him – though he hides it well. There are dark smudges under his eyes, he sits even more stiffly than usual – if that's possible - and he frequently rubs his head as though he's suffering with headaches.