Chapter 9

I watch the empty space where Cupid was moments before; my pulse still racing from the kiss and the vulnerability in his eyes. Then I take a deep breath, compose myself, and walk toward Charlie and Cal.

As I do – for a moment - I'm again overcome with the feeling that someone is watching me. I turn, peering past the fountain at the alley between the small second-hand store, and the grocery shop. I think I catch a flicker of movement in the shadows, but when I look harder there's no-one there.

I stare for a moment longer, see nothing but darkness, then head back to the two of them.

"So...I'm guessing this ends our night out..." says Charlie.

"Potentially..." I say.

"Definitely," Cal interjects sharply. He looks at Charlie, "I'll take Lila back. Do you need a lift home?"

She flashes us both a grin.

"Nope, got my cupid company car now, don't I?!"

"Oh my God, you finally got it?!" I say. "What did you pick in the end?"

Her face falls slightly.

"Just a second hand one," she says. "Mr. Sensible over here thought my parents would ask too many questions if I came home in a Lamborghini or something."

I laugh. He has a point. Cal gives her a disapproving look but I see the corner of his lip quirk up slightly.

"Still – beats having to get lifts off my brother all the time. And I'm totally getting it painted – " she says taking a step away from us, "I'm thinking pink or yellow." She grins at me. "Give me a call when you get home. I wanna know about..." she gestures over to the fountain where me and Cupid stood moments before.

I look in that direction. I feel a small swell of sadness that he's gone, even if it is only for a couple of days. It felt like things were finally starting to move between us – though forward or backward I can't tell.

Why did he pull away from me like that? Why was there so much sadness in his eyes?

Then I turn back to Charlie and nod.

"Will do. See you at school tomorrow."

She turns and skips off, leaving Cal and me alone. Our eyes meet and we quickly both avert them.

The air suddenly feels a little awkward. I don't think there's been a situation where the two of us have been together without Cupid, or anyone else, since before the battle.

I catch him opening his mouth out of the corner of my eye, as if to speak. Then he shuts it as I turn to look at him once more. He runs his hand through his hair then starts to move forward – stuffing his hands rigidly into his pockets