Chapter 36

We don't talk much in the car on the way back to Forever Falls. Instead I lean back against the cool leather seat and stare absently out of the window as we pass by the pristine looking buildings– leaving the clubs, office blocks, and LA scenery behind.

After the surges of adrenaline I'd felt earlier during the fight I feel like I'm suffering some kind of withdrawal; my whole body aches, and I'm exhausted.

I close my eyes.

It's a mistake.

The moment I do I see Valentine – imprinted on the back of my eyelids. I see his wild, blue eyes burning into mine, his full lips quirked up into a smirk; I hear his Irish lilt, taunting in my ears, I feel his fingers on my skin.

I'll be seeing you, Lila.

My eyes jolt open.

"You OK, lovebug?" says Cupid – looking at me through the mirror as we pull into the square at Forever Falls.

I blink hard, pushing Valentine away.

The events of the past week race through my mind: missing hearts, zombie cupids, a serial killer, the Fates, the threads of life, the shears of death, and a loom!

"Not going to lie...my life has definitely taken a weird turn since I met you both..."

Cupid is watching me with concern. I roll my eyes.

"I'm fine," I say. "Honest."

He nods, satisfied.

But my heart is still pounding against my ribcage. I'd really thought Valentine was going to take me with him, earlier. And I can't seem to get him out of my mind.

I need your heart for what I'm to do.

I shudder.

I glance back up at Cupid, who is now focused straight ahead as he maneuvers the car into a parking spot. I let my eyes travel across his face. There's still blood smeared around his nose and mouth, and the skin around his left eye has now turned a vibrant shade of purple.

He notices me staring at him as he stops the car.

"Like something you see?" he says, arching an eyebrow.

I give him a look.

"You look really bad, Cupid..." I say. "I mean...not in like a bad way...I just mean...well..."

"Don't sugar coat it, Lila," says Cal sharply; cutting me off and looking at his brother. "You're an absolute state. Have you not looked in the mirror? Wipe your face before we go into the Love Shack. You're going to scare the locals."

With that Cal opens the door and slides out onto the cobbled stones.

I find myself almost laughing, despite the grim situation. Cal really has no tact whatsoever. Cupid's lip quirks upward, too, as he turns in his seat. He looks at me, his eyes burning into mine.