Chapter 14

Silence.

Valentine is back.

Cupid's words seem to echo around the high-ceilinged room. Words that I'm still not sure of the implication.

Cal stands, statuesque, by the counter of weapons in the Combat Training Room. The color has drained from his face, accentuating the cool tones in his eyes. He runs both of his slender hands through his blonde hair then brings his gaze back to me.

He looks at my phone, still in my hand.

"When will you be back?" he says – his voice strained.

"I'm on my way – a couple of hours at most," says Cupid – the line crackling as he drives. "There was no point sticking around. He's been gone for months."

I think of what Crystal said. Cupids have been going missing since Venus was destroyed.

"And...there's more..."

"What?"

"I think it's best I tell you when I get back. Lila," he says – his tone suddenly urgent. "Are you OK?"

I think of the conversation I overheard with Cal late last night, the strange note in my pocket, and the girl I keep seeing – following me. Plus, the fact I'm generally pretty freaked out about the whole potential serial killer after me situation...

"Lila?" he says – his voice a little strained.

I sigh.

There's too much to say on the phone – and I don't want him to worry. It's not like he can do anything right now.

"I'm fine," I say. "Are you going to tell me who this Valentine is, now?"

He hesitates – the only sound coming through the speaker being the low thrum of the engine.

"Brother?" says Cupid.

I catch Cal's eye and he nods.

"I'll tell her."

"Good," there's a pause, then, "see you soon, lovebug."

Cupid hangs up the phone. I look up at Cal, my pulse still racing. He exhales then starts to move toward the exit of the combat training room.

"Come with me," he says. "I'll explain everything."

***

Cal leads me back through the indoor courtyard, heading through another archway into the next corridor.

I remember coming this way only once before – on the way to the surveillance room the first time I ever came to the Cupids Matchmaking Service. The time Cal showed me the footage of my parents meeting for the first time.

I walk quickly, taking two steps for each one of his long strides, as he leads us into the dark room, filled with screens. My eyes flicker across them momentarily, and – seeing the images of people going about their daily lives – I, again, get the prickly feeling of discomfort that the Matchmaking Service have eyes on everyone.