Chapter 33

Morta looks between us with her cool blue eyes. The morning light shines brightly through the glass front of the office; it glints off the line of silver piercings in her ear. Cal's question hangs heavy in the air.

Did Valentine create the match when he hacked in?

My heart beats too fast. I feel like something is tangling in my stomach. My body is cold. Cupid and Cal both lean forwards slightly in their seats - Cupid's hands gripped tightly to the black arms of the chair, his knuckles white.

Did Valentine create the match when he hacked in?

We're all waiting; waiting for an answer that could change everything.

Morta brushes her dark hair out of her eyes, then looks at us again.

"Perhaps," she says - her tone abrupt. My stomach plummets and Cupid runs an agitated hand across his mouth. "But perhaps not." she adds, looking away from us again.

Cupid's eyes narrow, a storm provoked behind them.

"As clear as usual, Morta," he says. Cal flashes him a warning look but Cupid ignores him. "Do you mean that you don't know if he made the match? Or do you just not want to tell us?! Because either way this is starting to seem like wasted trip to me..."

Morta glares at the three of us - finally holding our gazes. The hairs on my arms stand on end.

"The dead are not dead. That is my priority. Not the love lives of humanity. Not who you have decided to date this century, Cupid."

Cupid jumps to his feet, his jaw clenched and his eyes burning. Outrage crosses his strong features.

I feel a stab of annoyance at Morta's callous words - but from the look on her face right now I sure as hell aren't going to say anything. I think about what Cal and Cupid told me about her. They said human lives were stored on the Fates' computer systems.

Could Morta kill me with a line of code?

But still - Morta hasn't answered our question. The question that has been burrowing in my mind since yesterday.

She has to tell us. I feel my hands clench into fists - and though a part of me, remembering Cassie's prophetic instruction alluding to a fight occurring, thinks I should tell Cupid to calm down, I don't.

Because like him - I want to know. I need to know.

She has to tell us.

I lean forward. On the sofa opposite Cal looks slightly panicked at the escalating situation - his body tense. He watches his brother intently.

"Cupid..." he says quietly, warning in his tone.

"Whatever Valentine is planning - it started when he entered your details in the system," says Morta coolly. "It started with the match. That's what we need to discuss."