Chapter 50

Valentine and Cupid lock eyes on each other through the darkness. The tension radiates between them like a real, tangible thing – a force that makes the grease scented cafeteria air feel heavy. Suffocating. But electric.

The dance worked.

This is it.

If we catch him, we can end all this.

Charlie clenches her jaw, her gaze fixed on Valentine, while Cal's expression is wary, his lips thinned into a hard line. Both have their bows raised. My heart pounds in my chest, my hand curls around an arrow in the quiver that rests against my leg.

And for a strange, fleeting moment, I feel a twinge of disappointment that I hurriedly push into the depths of my mind.

Because Valentine was about to tell me something. Something about Cupid and 'his girl'.

Suddenly, Valentine gives a slow round of applause – the claps echoing harshly around the abandoned cafeteria. I jump at the unexpected noise and I have to work hard to calm my beating heart.

"I'm almost impressed, brother," he says in his low growl. "You've used one of my tricks to get more power. Although I shouldn't be surprised. You never were one for originality..." his grin widens. "You're still not as powerful as me, though."

"We'll have to put that to the test, won't we?" says Cupid. The smile is still on his face, but it's a dangerous smile. He takes a step forward, slowly and deliberately pulling an arrow out of his quiver and twirling it between his fingers. Valentine merely stretches, placing his arms behind his head and locking his hands.

"You realize I have an army at my command? An army that can't die? What do you have?"

"He has me," says Cal.

Valentine's eyes slide lazily over to Cal. The corner of his lip twitches. Cal's eyes flash silver as they hold Valentine's gaze.

"Of course," says Valentine. "How could I forget? You two are getting on very nicely nowadays. I must admit I find that surprising. Quite the display of brotherly love. Should I be jealous that I've never quite managed to gain your brotherly approval?" He pauses, his grin widening. "You're looking very suave this evening by the way, Cal. Trying to impress someone? A girl maybe?"

Cal's eyes flash and he releases an arrow. It flies over my shoulder straight at Valentine's face. In a flicker of shadow he moves his arm from behind his head and grabs the ardor inches from his face. He clenches it, crumbling it to a pile of ash on the table between us. With a shudder I remember back in the gym, when his fingers were clenched around my neck.

Valentine laughs.

"Well...that was pretty pointless."

Cal says nothing, his gaze hard. Valentine slides his gaze over to Charlie, his eyes catching on mine as he does.