11 | ACT I, SCENE XI

P R E V I O U S L Y

"All these years, you have been under my protection, my responsibility, and today..." he quietly inhaled, shaking his head, eyes full of sadness. "... Today I pass on the duty of your protection to another man."

TEMPLE OF THE GRACES, STEFFITH

EDWINA

A CONGREGATION OF WHITE PEAKS glimmered in the afternoon light, dappled in gold. The land everywhere around was blanketed green, jade and kale. Scarlet roses and cream lilies swayed in the light breeze, quite unlike my heart which was thudding shock still at the bottom of my chest as we walked our way to the Temple.

I heard Amphitrite whisper something behind me, as the bridal party walked through the grass and stone. My father's grip on my arm tightened as I turned around.

"What?" I snapped.

"You need to smile!" she chided, eliciting encouraging nods from Vanessa, who was triumphantly marching with lilies spilling from her gold spun hair.

The bridesmaids were dressed in gowns spun from silver shining like alabaster, gathered at the waist by braided sea grass. I grimaced, turning my eyes back to the path, where the golden spires of the Temple were shining in the afternoon. A fake smile plastered itself on my red lips, but the corners pulled down as if of their own accord, and I gave up trying.

The Temple came closer and closer in view, as did the people in it, all the gods and goddesses turning around, excitedly chattering and pointing at us.

The structure was open, surrounded by six pillars carved with runes and sculptures from the Titanomachy. It was large enough for a couple hundred people, but the main reason for having the ceremony here were the statues of Uranus and Aurea. It was considered a blessing to finalize the ceremony before the Father and Mother of all immortals, including the Titans as well.

We stopped, standing at the base of the steps cut of white marble as I looked up.

Everything was carved of white and gold. Purple wisteria, ropes of honeysuckle and ivy decorated the pillars. Green topiaries and blue and crimson banners were draped over the walls, and golden bells chimed in the wind.

Eros, Cosmo and Titania were standing right there to greet the Tremayne party. I saw the rest of the Valmonts grouped around there as well.

The last man, with messy hair as dark as quiet beginnings of black ink, turned around. I let loose a string of curses as my heart almost stopped beating.

Damn it.

His dark hair was a ruffled mess again, literally inviting me to go and run my fingers through it. He stood proudly in fitting robes of dark blue and gold, sleeves slashed with bronze. The Valmont sigil was the golden lion on dark blue. Rondels carved in the shape of the magnificent beast sat on his shoulders. Their eyes were studded with gleaming sapphires, claws sharp and furious. The epaulets were linked across his strong shoulders with chains of gold.