78 | ACT V, SCENE V

P R E V I O U S L Y

"Trick or no trick, I do not care. We have her here now. Get your truth potions," Helios grimly nodded to Sarette, his face set in resolution. "It's time we heard the truth."

CALCHESTER CITADEL, STEFFITH

TRISTAN

"LITTLE DEVILS," CELESTINA LEERED, HER voice a soft, deadly hiss. "Come to claim my life. Princes of rot and death and stone, that is what you all are. I will see you, yes, I will see in my next life, and exact in flesh and blood the revenge you bestow on me like a burnished crown. I shall gouge out your eyes and burn them until the crack open and pour forth amber - just see, just see, just see."

Whoever had captured her had broken something inside of her.

Sarette took her own sweet time to come back to court. When she did, she gripped a tall blue flute in her cruel fingers, the liquid inside as pale and thin as water. She tinkered the bottle in her hands until Nyx wrenched it out of her grip.

Down Celestina's throat the potion went, and she screamed and cursed us all even as she did so.

"Pretty little princess," she crooned, "born of night and stars, come to cast me down and take all I hold dear - I will tear your throat apart and drink the nectar thrumming in your veins, just see, just see, just see."

Then her body went utterly still as the screaming stopped. Her emerald green eyes were wide open, hardly blinking at all. A layer of malice and evil dripped from her vivid features, sickening and deadly.

"State your name for the Council," Helios commanded.

"Celestina Rotavelle," she answered in a hollow voice.

"Residing at Stormholt, previously at Allington?"

"Yes."

"Well Celestina, do you have anything to tell us?" Helios drawled.

The Hall waited for a moment, waited with bated breath.

"I wanted him," she screeched all of a sudden, her eye on Edwina.

"Who are you talking about?" Lucius Tremayne crinkled his brow, his face solemn.

She turned to me.

And in her eyes, I saw it all. The longing, the desire, the lust. The blind, hungry, raging thirst. All sentiments I had never echoed nor returned, causing them to sharpen even more. She went and tossed her head back to my wife, her eyes shining like hot amber.