44 | ACT II, SCENE XVI

P R E V I O U S L Y

"It's not like I expected you to care, anyway. I'll be perfectly happy with my drinks," Tristan whispered in my ear, walking right past me and vanishing into air.

 I'll be perfectly happy with my drinks," Tristan whispered in my ear, walking right past me and vanishing into air

HEXHAM PALACE, SKELDERGATE, ALLINGTON.

EDWINA

THE ROTAVELLES WERE ALL THINGS green.

Green eyes, green pastures, green fields, green jealousy.

But their souls were blacker than night. Far in contrast to the black unicorn on the white background of their flags.

White unicorns, black flags, black hearts, black sheep.

Gold in peace, steel in war, their words were. Words as fickle as wanton winds.

I'd never understood why my father seemed overly protective of keeping me away from them. True, they were a difficult lot, but what kind of Queen had no enemies?

And yet, my father's obsession with keeping me away from them was...  unusually strange. It had risen to peak after my Trials. He used to constantly be at my heels to keep me apart from the enemies who would see me killed because they knew I would become Queen, taking up their own spot.

Well, well, well... see where we stand now.

"Ah, your Grace, there you are!" Emerick boomed from the stairs, gliding down to greet me, a courteous smile plastered onto his face. He'd dressed all in green, and my voice itched to tell him that he looked like a capsicum stuck in a salad.

"Lord Rotavelle," I nodded my head as he bowed courteously. His facade shone so strongly through the cracks, we both knew that he was a horrible actor. But then, two could play at this game.

"You did not arrive with your husband?" Emerick's sister and wife, Justaline, asked with fake interest.

"He... does not know that I am here," I replied murderously.

"Oh," she cackled, and in her voice I could hear the quiet beginnings of gossip.

The glaring absence of a loving couple everyone expected to find had raised more than a few eyebrows. Tristan would most probably have no idea I was here. He would have arrived early at Allington, it was his own brother who was getting married after all. I told myself I didn't know why I came, but deep down, I knew exactly why I was here.