96 | ACT VII, SCENE VII

P R E V I O U S L Y

"Your life," she tinkled, tipping back her head to let out a hearty laugh.

HEWE, STEFFITH.

EDWINA

MOTIONLESS.

EVERY PERSON IN THE clearing was motionless.

Ambrosine's smile was wicked and sweet, shining in all its cruel glory.

The heart under my newly welded ribs stopped beating.

You see, my dear. There's just one more thing left for the power to work. Your life.

This was what she had wanted. All along. This was what she would take, no more, and no less. There was no way Tristan and I would be alive together - not happy, and certainly not together.

He had paid dearly for taking his sister's forbidden life - paid for it with his own. And if I wanted back his life, the only thing that could appease Ambrosine was an offering similar to his, just as powerful, just as deadly - not a shred of power more, not a shred of power less.

His exact equal.

"Kill me."

Not even one second of hesitation stained my words as I simply stepped forward, heart tight. My fragmented family closed in without a second thought, holding me at arm's length from death, their frightened gasps being the only thing that tethered me to this world.

There was nothing to think about, not really.

There was only one reason she had demanded my life - only mine.

To sate her immortal hunger, to keep that monstrous appetite at bay, to keep it from rearing its head towards the heavens like a great monster. It was the only reason why she asked for it. I knew it would work.

"Very well," she murmured, a coy smile slowly bubbling on her lips, a smirk playing about them. Her fingers danced along the blade of a frighteningly sharp dagger, but that fear did not bite - and that dead, rotting thing in my chest inched out to hold it with hungry hands, wanting to feel that bite, wanting to savour it.

"You can't be fucking serious," Aidon snarled beside me, the sound feral and vicious, "don't you dare," his teeth gritted.

I only looked at him with destruction in my eyes.

Llewellyn's crestfallen face looked at me with despair, moisture glimmering in the corners of his eyes.