89 | ACT VI, SCENE VI

P R E V I O U S L Y

Two days later, the first blackthorn in the garden drooped.

[A/N: THIS CHAPTER GETS PRETTY SENTIMENTAL, SO BE READY. AND YES, GOOD LUCK FINDING THE 'FAULT IN OUR STARS' REFERENCE!]

CALCHESTER CITADEL, STEFFITH.

EDWINA

LLEWELLYN AND VANESSA MARRIED EACH other that night in a quiet ceremony at the Citadel.

It was a small, peaceful affair, but what mattered most was the hearts it brought together after all this endless strife, all this endless wrong which had been done behind those closed doors. It was the last chance we had to repair the mistakes of marrying the poor man to the witch who called herself Celestina, the very thing which caused Vanessa such desperate, desolate heartbreak. They both had deserved time, much more time - and we owed them this one last night.

It was the last thing of joy that we all had, the last piece of happiness before the war fell upon on next morning.

Our plans were made, our men were ready.

The air was so fraught with tension that you could have sliced fruit with it.

Everyone had dressed in their very best, as if preparing for their own funeral in colored velvet and gilded silks.

"Llewellyn Valmont and Vanessa LeVane, I now proclaim you man and wife," Eros whispered tearfully, kissing his golden haired daughter on the cheek. Clad in a gown of ivory gossamer, Nessa gave him a dazzling smile as she flung her arms around Llewellyn's neck, pressing her lips to his. The crowd cheered, a few chuckling loudly. I saw Emeline hastily wipe away a tear, and I warmly put a hand on her arm.

"It's fine... I just - tomorrow-"

"It will be fine," I said reassuringly. Theodore appeared at her side, inhaling deeply before sipping his wine and placing an arm around her shoulder.

"If we die tomorrow," he muttered, "I will have only one regret. My brother would have liked this wine," he told her with a grin. She choked back on her tears and couldn't help but smile at the grin on his face. The Grendel male turned to me, biting back on a smile. "We are not going down without giving the fuckers a fight."

"That's the spirit," I said throatily, clinking our glasses together. Halette joined me, a sad smile on her lips, a tipsy Vincent beside her. Her eyes were brimming with tears even as I put down my glass to hug her tightly. My throat closed up with emotion as I tried to fight the burning in my eyes.