Chapter 2 & 3

Chapter 2 - Training Day

Valascaa, a rich and fertile land, is the only remaining capital upon the Exodon, the exiles continent. Its solid stone roads ran rich with history, the city having been rebuilt long ago after a long war. Centuries later, the city still stands as a sanctuary to those graced by Aneira's love. Once, two other powers existed, Highmooria and the long lost country that has now become the Scar.

No one remembers what the Scar was once called but it is said that it was once a cradle of life, lush and green. With the refugees of Highmooria now dwelling within Valascaana, the capital city of Valascaa had become rather overpopulated. Outside of its inner wall, lie the expanded common district, where mass numbers of the under privileged live.

For some Highmoorians, such as Alec, they were given the opportunity to mingle with others within the noble's district as a sort of social experiment proposed by the Imperial council and it was these chosen individuals who were ostracized the most severely. As much as they might try, and as much as they might endure and overcome, it was to their extreme disadvantage to allow anyone know of their heritage. The nobles of Highmooria of course were welcomed into Valascaa with open arms, though given the rights of second class nobles. Their numbers however, now only consisted of the elderly. All of their heirs lost in the fall.

With himself as an exception, the majority of the Highmoorian lower class, lived in the run down northern sector, which had previously been inhabited by the dredges of the city. Banding together, the new residents had made the best of it and were able to enjoy their lives in minimal comfort. For the few children that had been born after the fall, an orphanage had been set up at the heart of the district. Alec often frequented the district to play with the children who had never once seen the place of their birth.

There were others however, who had been welcomed in by nobles and allowed residence in some of their less luxurious homes, as was the case with Alec. The family of his best friend Eliza took him in and it was thanks to them that he was admitted into the knight's college as the council's latest social experiment. Should he prove himself a strong, noble and dependable knight then his people would be given a chance to join their ranks and finally, after eleven years earn their place among the people.

Alec stood within the center of the training grounds, which lie within the noble's district of Valascaa. The knight's college sat towards the back off to the western side of the district, enveloped on all sides by walls. To the south lie a residential area, to the north by the Valascaan cathedral and the labyrinth, a strange illusionary place which served as the final test of worthiness for the knights.

To the east of the college, one could see the palace, though for some time now, the throne had sat empty and instead Valascaa turned to its Imperial council for guidance and leadership.

Alec stood staring off into space within the middle of the training grounds as another of the knight squires launched blow upon blow unto Alec's shield. Alec continued to block the blows with little attention to his opponent until Eliza snapped him back to reality with an angry yell.

"Alec what are you doing, you idiot? Quit wasting everyone's time and fight back." Alec startled looked around in time to see another blow veering toward his ribs. With a quick parry, Alec caught the blade with the hilt of his sword and with a simple twist and flick of his wrist sent the blade flying through the air. Before the blade had touched the ground, Alec began to walk from the dueling circle, leaving his opponent bewildered. As Alec passed through the crowd of onlookers, Eliza reached out and touched Alec's shoulder, mouthing the words. "What is wrong?" Alec shook his head and shrugged before waiting for the next contender.