Chapter 16, 17 & 18

Chapter 16 - The Paladin

"Are you certain?" Alec nearly jumped out of his chair causing his wound to burn.

"Hun, you are going to need to sit still if you want me to close this." Talon still fussed with his side, working her needle with great speed and skill.

"We'll have to try and find her." Alec looked down at his feet trying to think of a plan.

"You realize that man with the beard was a paladin?" Eliza raised her eyebrow to him.

"What?"

"When I tried to press that man backward, I caught a glimpse at the armor he was wearing, lion hawk symbol and everything. He's a paladin Eliza." Eliza thought for a moment as Talon finished closing Alec's side and cut the thread and cleaned the area around it. Alec thanked her for her help as Zelus entered the tavern accompanied by the guardsmen who had taken him away before.

"I leave for a couple of hours and you two are already starting fights with the locals. What is wrong with you two?" Alec and Eliza were hardly in the mood. Eliza slammed her fists on the table and let out a low audible growl.

"We did not start the fight! We were trying to break it up when we were attacked!" Zelus cowered as Eliza went on with her less than ladylike performance. Eventually she stopped and Zelus took a deep gulp and attempted to clear his throat.

"I see, well then, my apologies. I was not made aware of all the details. I will leave immediately to go and speak with the individuals." Zelus began to walk away when Alec spoke.

"Wait! I am going with you." He began to rise but did so too hastily and the pain in his side seared.

"Alec, just wait here or have someone help you to our quarters. I will go with Zelus." Eliza placed her hand on Alec's shoulder knowing why he was so eager to go.

"Eliza I have to go. I am not going to sit in a room when I know that she is here." Alec finished rising to his feet and slowly straightened out his torso. Eliza smiled and slung her arm around to help steady him.

"Come on Alec." Zelus gently patted Alec on the shoulder and the three of them walked toward the building where the large man was being held. Alec surveyed his surroundings closely as they walked looking for any sign that the young woman might appear. They reached the main building that Zelus had entered previously that day and a guard stepped forward.

"We have just received the prisoners. They are in lock up now." The guard accompanying them stepped forward and spoke with the guard for a moment.

"Come on, knights let's go see your prisoners." The four of them walked into the justice building where they walked down a couple long hallways and down a flight of stairs. They walked past several cells when the guard motioned for them to walk toward their right.

"Hey baby, wanna come in here with me." The large man from earlier blew Eliza a kiss. Eliza stopped and drew her twelve inch hunting knife from its sheath.

"Maybe for a minute, big boy." She mocked as she ran up on him and pressed the knife towards his belt line. The big man gulped and backed away as Zelus grabbed her, pulling her away, as they continued their walk toward the end of the hallway. Alec smiled and shook his head as Eliza sheathed her knife and brushed her hair back with her hand. Alec's smile quickly faded however as they stood in front of the cell they were looking for and inside sat the enormous man, whom Alec now knew to be a paladin.

"Prisoner, you have guests." He opened the door and Alec walked into the cell.

"Eliza, Zelus please just stand guard. I will not be long." Eliza and Zelus gave him a dirty look.

The Last Paladin of Highmoore: The Legends of ValoriaOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara