Chapters 22, 23 & 24

Chapter 22 - The Fabled Blade

Alec gripped the hilt of the sword and felt the massive power within. He searched the length of the two and a half foot blade, running his fingers across the several runes etched into it. The blade ended in a unique twisting hilt that reminded him of thick entangling vines. Within the vines, rested a brilliantly gleaming emerald and ended in a smooth handle with a hollow pommel.

He swiped the sword through the air again, feeling, and hearing the air hum, as he cut through it. Belias stared at Alec for a moment before drawing his own sword. Alec walked towards him, unburdened by Daemon Knight's strange aura. Belias let out a deep throaty laugh and shot a kinetic burst at Alec.

Alec watched intently, able to see the energy rushing towards him. He swung his sword horizontally from left to right, striking the head of the burst and with great strain propelled the blast sideways crumbling the far wall, well away from everyone. He felt a large amount of energy suddenly leave his body and he collapsed to a knee for a moment as his head spun.

After a moment, Alec rose to his feet realizing a second attempt would probably cause him to pass out. As such, he decided such action, would be ill advised. Alec looked up and though he could not see Belias' reaction, which was veiled by the sheet of metal covering his face, he caught the sense that Belias was beginning to grow concerned.

"Why are you still standing?" Belias approached him realizing his kinesis would no longer aid him and swung his sword. Alec moved to the side as he had before and brought the blade across Belias' armor. He felt the blade connect to his armor and felt as a portion of it gave way.

Belias howled with pain and stepped backward, holding his side. Alec could see the wound and saw the shifting of spirits within the armor. The faces of countless enslaved souls moaned and cried from beneath the ebony armor as if calling to Alec, asking him to free them or join them.

Alec turned his head to the side and saw that his comrades were all collapsed on the ground, covering their ears, crying out in pain. Alec looked back towards the assembly of souls and remembered the Forsaken captain from outside of Roak.

He remembered, while the others had been paralyzed by the banshee wail that he had mysteriously grown immune to its effects. After a moment, Belias pulled his hand away and Alec could not help but notice the wound continued to move about, as if it possessed a life of its own. Alec could also see the twisting souls slowly reaching out to one another, as the hole in Belias' armor shrank.

"Excellent strike! It has been quite some time since someone has been able to wound me." Belias raised his hand and released the force pulse. Alec could not react in time, to avoid the blow. Possessing no shield to block with, he threw himself to the side, but felt the blast striking him in the stomach. The blast continued onward and struck the barricaded temple door, which burst from the force.

Alec's lungs were on fire. He tried desperately to fill his lungs with air and, once it reached him, he let out a hard cough. He noticed that his limbs were trembling violently and that blood was flowing from out of his mouth. He picked up the sword again and the blade continued to hum. As Alec grasped it, however, he began to feel the strain from holding it. His arms felt as though he were attempting to hold up the sky.

"Ah, so you have noticed the downside to wielding that weapon. That sword's power is legendary but it comes at a price. It channels the energy of the user. Use it too much, and you will die." Belias approached Alec and this time Alec was too weak to dodge the blow. Instead, the swords clashed and sparked as they were struck together repeatedly. Alec could hear Oz screech triumphantly, confirming they had overcome the increase in gravity and would be safe from further attack. Alec was also aware that Talia desperately needed medical attention.