Chapters 31, 32, 33 & 34

Chapter 31- The Rise of a Paladin

Zelus awoke in the middle of the night to the sounds of chatter pouring from the other side of the wall. Zelus attempted to hear, but could only make out the sounds of someone crying. Zelus leapt across the room and began to shake Alec in a panic as he attempted to wake him.

"Zelus what is it? Is everything alright?" Zelus placed a finger over his lips and silently signaled for Alec to be quiet.

Alec silently mouthed, "What's the matter?" Zelus took his finger from his lips long enough to point to the wall. Alec leaned his head to the side.

"Eliza and Talia..." Zelus pounced on Alec and covered his mouth.

"Shh, shh, shh, shh," Zelus went off in a rapid-fire burst as he continued to silence Alec. Alec attempted to shove Zelus, causing them to squabble and wrestle one another until Alec finally managed to press his legs into Zelus' chest and shoved him away.

"I am going back to sleep, leave me alone." Alec rolled over. Zelus, too curious to let things go, crept back over to the other side of the room. He leaned his ear to the wall but, unable to understand what was being said, looked for a better way to eavesdrop. The nearby window caught his eye.

Zelus walked over to the window and carefully opened it. He looked out the window and to his relief he found that there was a balcony. "Ah, drat." He spoke to himself as he climbed out to the edge of the balcony and looked straight down, remembering that they were on the third floor. Zelus placed his feet on the rail and preparing himself jumped to the next balcony. He hung there for a moment making sure that no one had heard. Swinging his legs over the railing, he slowly leaned against the edge of the window and being sure not to peek inside intently listened in.

"I have never had feelings such as these before. When I lived among the clergy at the grand shrine, I was frequently in contact with men, yet never before, have I possessed such unbearable feelings."

"Talia, what you are feeling is called love. There is no reason for you to be so upset by that."

"But Eliza, I am forbidden from feeling such things. It is an offense against Aneira for one in my position to feel such things."

"Talia, Aneira is the goddess of love. How could such a thing ever be forbidden?" There was a long pause, Zelus feared that they were being quieter so he leaned in more. Still no voices remained on the other side of the door and he leaned in just a little bit more.

"Ha!" Was the noise Zelus heard as the window was forced open and he fell into the room face first.

"Zelus you filthy letch, what do you think you are doing?" Eliza yelled at Zelus with a whisper as she kicked him a couple of times. Zelus turned his head upward his hands securely over his eyes.

"I know what this looks like, but I swear to you that I was not here to peek."

"Yeah, right you lewd freak. As if I am about to believe that."

"Honestly, I swear on my honor as a knight of Valoria. I only listened in. I overheard someone crying and I was worried. However, now my concern for you two has turned into concern for my friend. Why are you two whispering about Alec?" Zelus still could not see but he imagined Eliza was doing her best to come up with a cover.

"I swear Eliza, if either of you are out to hurt him, I will be coming after you. He may be my rival but his training is too important for you to be attempting to sabotage him." Without proper warning Zelus was slapped hard across the face, causing him to land face down on the ground again.