Chapter 10

Chapter 10 - The Morning After

"That is absolutely outrageous. I will not stand by this decision!" The Lion roared out with rage as he yelled at the high council over their recent decision. The magnitude of his voice reached up to the high stained glass ceiling and echoed off from the walls of the brilliantly lit chamber, gleaming with royal red and imperial gold. The council, up high on their platform, continued to look down upon the Lion with disdain in their eyes.

"On what grounds do you challenge our decision? Your cadets undertook the trials and failed. They made a mockery of your knight's college, while all viewed the events on Aneira's eye. How is it that we are to admit these failed cadets into your ranks, proving that the knights have truly become spineless and weak." The Lion boomed again, at the long list of insults the speaker of the council unleashed.

"Never have we allowed, nor even dared to pit our cadets against legions of monsters, during their knights' trials. First you force them to undertake such a task and now, even after they reached the center of the maze, you have the audacity to deny them their sacred rite?" the speaker smiled a malicious smile and he clapped his hands slowly before answering.

"I believe that your case is not without its merit. We will be more willing to discuss these most unfortunate circumstances at a later date knight commander. However I would implore you to take better care when choosing the manner in which you speak to us. It has been expected for some time that the Highmoorian would fail, his attendance after all was never more than a simple test to prove the worth of the filthy wretches that inhabit our glorious city. Never forget that so long as the throne remains empty that we the council are the rule of law and it is our choice not yours as to who will protect our citizens." With the wave of his hand the speaker dismissed the lion who stormed angrily from the room followed by his second in command Keagen.

"Who do they think they are? Claiming the people of this city theirs. Blasphemy!" Keagen raged on his tangent until finally the Lion stopped him.

"No good will come of attacking their loyalty to Aneira, not while the walls remain ever aware of whispers within their halls." Keagen looked about cautiously as they continued to walk down the hallway. The Lion was still clutching his fists angrily. He knew full well that Alec's "failure" as they had deemed it, would prove cause for them to impede anyone of Highmoorian or common blood from attempting to earn their place among the people.

"So what do you suppose will happen to your golden boy, now?" The Lion shook his head and sighed.

"I do not know. The poor boy deserves a break. There are few who know or can even understand what he has been through. Perhaps, they will see reason once you know who steps in. They tend to be more receptive to her."

"You are going to sick the Lady Kaldur on them then?" Keagen asked.

"Alec is as much a son to us as Eliza is our daughter. They will be swayed to think the matter over more carefully."

"I do admire her." Keagen smiled as they walked.

The auburn haired woman walked gracefully across a field of wildflowers, slowly climbing a hill. Alec watched as she reached the summit and sat upon the bow of an Aneiran blossom and looked out over to the sea as the bright blue flower petals fell with the wind and landed into the setting sun reflected off from the surface of the water. He could smell salt in the air, and though it smelt of Valascaa, he knew that without a doubt that he had been taken somewhere far away. The tree resembled a weeping willow, yet the whipping vines were covered in an array of sapphire blossoms. The woman looked back to him and smiled, her radiant green eyes shone into him and he felt his spirit glow.