Chapter 4 & 5

Chapter 4 - The Chosen Cadets

"Come on Alec, she is beating you." The crowd jeered as Eliza sank another arrow into the deep red center of the bulls-eye. The archery range was located near the dueling grounds and had been a quick walk for them. Several other cadets were practicing not far from them as Alec and Eliza were locked in competition.

"That makes four more than you Alec, your shot," she smiled as she turned on a heel and pranced away from the target. Alec approached, taking up stance where Eliza had just walked away from and knocked an arrow. Alec stared at his target as he raised the bow and pulled the string tight. The center of the bulls-eye grew in his gaze as he focused upon it. He drew in a deep breath and readied his release.

An image of a woman flashed before his eyes, clouding his vision. He stared into her beautiful emerald eyes, distracting his mind. She turned to him and smiled, making him forget to breath.

"Alec!" He jumped, startled from the sudden outburst and his arrow struck the outer ring of the target. The spectators laughed as Eliza raised her arms into the air in triumph. Alec stood staring off into space as everyone congratulated Eliza. Eliza turned from her entourage and eyed Alec suspiciously for a moment.

"Hey, everyone, get back to training. We will catch up in a minute." Eliza turned back and walked towards Alec.

"Ha ha, look at him, dumbstruck because he lost, how sad." A random spectator uttered a last remark as they walked away.

"Alec, what is the matter?" Eliza placed her hand on his shoulder. "Are you alright?" Alec just shook his head for a moment before looking at Eliza.

"Just confused or daydreaming I guess." He finally averted his gaze from the target and walked forward, to begin retrieving their arrows. Placing her hand over his much larger hand, Eliza tried to pull Alec's attention back.

"Was it her again? Did you see that woman again?" Concern poured from Eliza's voice. Alec nodded.

"In the middle of the day? I thought you said that you only saw her in your dreams?"

"That's the trouble Eliza. It is not just in my dreams anymore. I am seeing her during the day now, while I am awake and walking around. I do not know what is going on."

"Well, how about we take you to go and see the medic?" Alec looked at her with a look of surprise.

"I am not sick Eliza. I do not think that a trip to the medical station is going to help me." He turned his gaze toward the city walls before turning back toward the post, removed his final arrows and walked away. He looked around, seeing the other cadets, practicing themselves as Eliza accepted her arrows from Alec.

"Alec, are you sure that you are going to be alright?"

"Come on Eliza, your dad is waiting for us." Eliza attempted to vent her frustration and followed Alec.

"Ah, Zelus, Alec and Eliza I was wondering when the three of you would stop by. I take it that you are already aware of the purpose for our meeting?" The tall, broad shouldered man stood at ease, looking out the window that loomed over the training ground.

"Yes commander," the three of them spoke in unison.

"No need to be so formal at the moment. Eliza, congratulations on yet another victory on the archery range. Alec, you need to work on your discipline." Eliza and Zelus turned, smirking at Alec who squinted slightly and let out a slow breath.