Chapter 28, 29 & 30

Chapter 28 – The Priestess' Secret

Alec awoke the following morning to the sight of Zelus bent in half. His back was arching upward toward the ceiling, placing the majority of his weight onto his face, which still rested next to his book. Alec shook his head in disbelief and rose from his own bed.

He looked out the window and saw it was still dark out. He looked around and noticed that the third bed, likely reserved for Marec, was empty. Alec forced his feet into his boots and walked from the room. He had not managed to walk far when he heard the voice of his teacher from behind.

"You should rest while you still have the opportunity. As soon as the others rise we will be leaving for Trias."

"How far is Trias?"

"We will be there by nightfall. I asked Zelus to secure some horses for us."

"I wonder how Oz will feel about that."

"Considerate, however, I would be more concerned as to whether or not Oz will attempt to eat them."

"Another thing to consider." Alec nodded his head, the thought of Oz pouncing on a full grown steed would not surprise him. "Oz mostly goes for rabbits though. A horse would be much too large."

"Aye, but the lion within him may search for sport even if he is well sated." Again Alec had a moment to himself whilst he imagined Oz prowling through a savannah in search of game.

"I am just going to head down to the river, clean up."

"You may also want to check on Oz. He remained in the stables all night. He is probably cooped up." Alec nodded his head as he marched down the stairs and entered into the dining room.

"Good morning sir knight," Alec looked to see the innkeeper standing behind the counter as usual. "Are you headed out so soon?"

"Just to go wash up is all."

"Aye, well, how's abouts some breakfast for the road?" The man quickly scurried about in the kitchen behind and came out with a small parcel of food.

"Thank you sir, how much do I owe you?" The innkeeper waved his hand at Alec.

"After what you and your friends did for us yesterday, think nothing of it." Alec smiled, accepting the gift.

"Again, thank you sir. Was Oz alright last night?" The man turned his head up and to his left as he scratched the stubble on his chin.

"Oh, I suppose you mean the strange cat bird that you brought in with you. Why, yes, he was most agreeable. A little full of energy but I took him some meat scraps and that seemed to calm him down in a hurry."

"That usually does the trick." Alec said as he walked outside into the early morning dimness. He took an immediate turn to his left and followed the building around towards its exterior to find the stables. Alec pushed open the gate, allowing himself access to the pens.

"Oz" Alec spoke softly as to not stir the horses too much. Alec could hear a light coo coming from the back of the stables. He walked towards the source to find nothing but an empty pen.

"Oz!" Alec called more sternly and, this time, he noticed that the sound of the coo came from up above. Alec looked up to see his griffet staring down at him with curious eyes.